Fans Forever at MDC Museum of Art + Design
Fans Forever exhibit at MDC Museum of Art + Design features fans painted by Cuban masters and contemporary artists.
Opening reception, Sept. 20 at 5 p.m.
The Freedom Tower at Miami Dade College,
600 Biscayne Blvd., Second Floor, Miami
through Nov. 2
The fan has historically been used to flirt, protect the face from offensive breath, indicate social status, and keep a lady from sweating through her petticoat, but it's flat surface can be a tempting blank canvas for artists.
In 1943, Cuban artists like Wifredo Lam, René Portocarrero, Mariano Rodríguez, Mario Carreño, Cundo Bermúdez, Carlos Enríquez and Felipe Orlando used their artistic skills to beautify fans that would eventually be exhibited and auctioned off to raise funds to help restore Santa María del Rosario, a Baroque church in Havana, Cuba that had fallen into disrepair.
Sixty-nine years later, the MDC Museum of Art + Design brings together many of the same Cuban artists as well as a younger generation for a similar show. The exhibit, Fans Forever, features 50 fans painted by Cuban masters like Wifredo Lam and René Portocarrero as well as contemporary Cuban artists and opens Thursday, Sept. 20 with a reception starting at 5 p.m.
Curator Gustavo Orta says the show pays tribute to that historic artistic act of altruism: "We have tried to commemorate that beautiful gesture by those Cuban artists in the '40s with a 21st Century exhibition."
See and Do
- Munchkin Fun's top picks for family fun June 1-7
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - May 29-31
- Summer Fun 2015: Your guide to kids programs and camps for the summer in Miami
- Feel the Force: Hurricanes and Other Hazards at the Frost Museum of Science
- Russian pianist plays Wynwood on Friday
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - May 22-24
- Third Thursdays at Perez Art Museum Miami brings music and drinks
- Memorial Day Weekend Events - 2015
- Haitian Book Fair to celebrate Caribbean culture for 3rd year
- Annie, Open Play & Freebie Fun: Munchkin Fun's Top Picks for Memorial Day Week