Foot for thought: A SBWFF shoe guide
Beach sand, wine and lots of standing around looking fabulous -- how to dress your feet for the SoBe Wine & Food Fest.
By Jessica Sick
It's South Beach Wine and Food Festival time, and you've got stems on your mind. No, not wine stems (though you'll be clasping plenty of those), but the ones you'll be wearing on your feet for four days of sipping, socializing and, yes, standing.
You want a pair that is comfortable (not even a few glasses of wine will help you forget blister-inducing shoes) beach friendly (you'll inevitably find yourself in sand at some point during the night) and, of course, fabulous (this is, after all, is one of the biggest social events of the season). Here are a few options that boast all three criteria:
Available at: Lulu Couture, Bal Harbour Shops; 305-865-0040; Base; avg price: $60
The old-school jelly shoe meets Ikea in these plastic pairs. This Brazilian company enlists the talents of cutting-edge artists to design their collections, and the result is more suited for MoMA (making them also suitable for Basel) than Nordstrom.
Available at: locations all over South Florida; avg price: $130
No, we're not suggesting you wear clogs to the SBWFF. As if. Crocs has a "high fashion" collection, which includes several styles of strappy wedges, peeptoe pumps and even gladiator sandals.
Tuccia di Capri
Available at: Tuccia di Capri; avg price: $200
No one knows glamour like a high fashion model, and two of them own this design-it-yourself sandal shop. Made from the highest quality Italian leather, each pair is crafted on-premises and to your specifications - just how you like your French-pressed coffee.
Available at: Intermix (locations at www.intermixonline.com); The Biltmore Boutique; Blush Boutique
Trend alert! All things tribal are in, meaning lots of fringe and suede, and sandal line Mystique is all over it. But for those who are more Oscar night than hippie chic, they've got plenty of bedazzled styles to choose from, too.
Available at: Shoes to You; avg price: $60
Worried about ending up with Syrah on your suede? Jamie Kreitman's rhinestone-embellished flip-flops just might be the perfect solution for a sandy soiree. They're sweet, sparkly and, best of all, sensibly priced.
Available at: Kore; avg price: $25
This line, which includes both colorful wedges and bejeweled sandals, rivals even Tar-je in their prices. But with these, you're less likely to get, "didn't I see those at Target?" from a snooty 'Fester. Not that it matters -- you'd rather pinch pennies than your toes any day.
- Go Drink This: The Pink Lady
- Go Drink This: House-Bottled Pear and Hibiscus Cider
- Miami nightlife impresario Chris Paciello to open Rockwell nightclub in Miami Beach
- Charity cocktailing, tricking out, clam baking, jet setting, swining and dining, and salsa dancing
- Could this be the Best Happy Hour in Miami: American Social in Brickell
- Go Drink This: Lemongrass Collins
- Four Seasons Brickell hosts End of Summer pool party
- Metro Railing, antique spicing, sommelier slamming, straycationing & Blocktoberfesting
- Go Drink This: Jalapeño & Tamarind Pisco Sour
- Cinema, celluloid, flicks, a new babe in Brickell named Marion & Mexican Independence Day