Foot for thought: A SBWFF shoe guide
Beach sand, wine and lots of standing around looking fabulous -- how to dress your feet for the SoBe Wine & Food Fest.
By Jessica Sick
It's South Beach Wine and Food Festival time, and you've got stems on your mind. No, not wine stems (though you'll be clasping plenty of those), but the ones you'll be wearing on your feet for four days of sipping, socializing and, yes, standing.
You want a pair that is comfortable (not even a few glasses of wine will help you forget blister-inducing shoes) beach friendly (you'll inevitably find yourself in sand at some point during the night) and, of course, fabulous (this is, after all, is one of the biggest social events of the season). Here are a few options that boast all three criteria:
Available at: Lulu Couture, Bal Harbour Shops; 305-865-0040; Base; avg price: $60
The old-school jelly shoe meets Ikea in these plastic pairs. This Brazilian company enlists the talents of cutting-edge artists to design their collections, and the result is more suited for MoMA (making them also suitable for Basel) than Nordstrom.
Available at: locations all over South Florida; avg price: $130
No, we're not suggesting you wear clogs to the SBWFF. As if. Crocs has a "high fashion" collection, which includes several styles of strappy wedges, peeptoe pumps and even gladiator sandals.
Tuccia di Capri
Available at: Tuccia di Capri; avg price: $200
No one knows glamour like a high fashion model, and two of them own this design-it-yourself sandal shop. Made from the highest quality Italian leather, each pair is crafted on-premises and to your specifications - just how you like your French-pressed coffee.
Available at: Intermix (locations at www.intermixonline.com); The Biltmore Boutique; Blush Boutique
Trend alert! All things tribal are in, meaning lots of fringe and suede, and sandal line Mystique is all over it. But for those who are more Oscar night than hippie chic, they've got plenty of bedazzled styles to choose from, too.
Available at: Shoes to You; avg price: $60
Worried about ending up with Syrah on your suede? Jamie Kreitman's rhinestone-embellished flip-flops just might be the perfect solution for a sandy soiree. They're sweet, sparkly and, best of all, sensibly priced.
Available at: Kore; avg price: $25
This line, which includes both colorful wedges and bejeweled sandals, rivals even Tar-je in their prices. But with these, you're less likely to get, "didn't I see those at Target?" from a snooty 'Fester. Not that it matters -- you'd rather pinch pennies than your toes any day.
- Things to do in Miami this weekend - July 25-27
- Florida band Anberlin says goodbye at Vans Warped Tour
- Mad Decent Block Party tour kicks off in Fort Lauderdale
- Go Drink This: SushiSamba's Pisco Sour
- Exclusive: The historic Ball and Chain bar and live music venue returns to Little Havana in September
- Velvet Underground: The Stage welcomes Big Sam's Funky Nation for 'Soulfest Weekend' plus more poolside fashion flows at Fifty Miami
- Keep the party going after the sun sets on Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Swim in Miami
- Things to do in Miami this weekend - July 18 - 20
- Svedka Vodka challenges bartenders nationwide to compete in the first annual Svedka Shakedown in Miami Beach
- Velvet Underground: A daytime salute to Overtown with music and art and Swim Week cascades through South Beach