Florida actor costars in new cop flick 'The Heat'
ne of John Baker’s first YouTube videos shows him doing spoken word performance art at the University of Florida. Four years later, the man who calls himself Spoken Reasons has more than 1.3 million YouTube subscribers and will co-star in The Heat, a special agent comedy that opened Friday. The 24-year-old Bradenton native plays Terrell Rojas, a drug dealer on the wrong side of the law running from FBI agent Sarah Ashburn ( Sandra Bullock) and Boston cop Shannon Mullins ( Melissa McCarthy). In the trailer, Mullins and Ashburn dangle Terrell over a railing, trying to extract information from him. “He can do way better in life, but no one takes him seriously, he pretends to be the tough guy, which he’s not,” Reasons said. Reasons landed the role in a matter of days. In one weekend, he overnighted an audition tape and took an acting class. He got the part Monday. Posted throughout Reasons’ social media platforms is the hashtag #FCHW, which stands for faith, consistency and hard work. He attributes a lot of his success to that mindset. “It goes way deeper than just me,” he said. “It applies behind the scenes, good or bad; you can apply it anywhere.”
On Our Radar
- Sarah Jessica Parker popping in to Bloomingdale's Aventura
- 3 rare pre-embargo Cuban cigars to buy in Miami
- How to get the celebrity bikini body you crave
- Luis Guzman in Miami: Spanish is easier than French
- Miami artist Becky Rosa unveils massive public art installation at Wynwood gallery
- Antonio Banderas: I have an attachment to Miami
- Runway Reviews from Miami Fashion Week 2016
- Do you live in one of the most stressed out places in Florida?
- Gwen Stefani's having trouble selling tickets for tour
- Miami Fashion Week arrives with new celebs and a fresh vision