Flo Rida is All Rida
With his No. 1 hit Low, Miami rapper Flo Rida is ready for more.
By Michael Hamersly
Miami homeboy Flo Rida (pronounced "flow ride-ah") recently performed his No. 1 hit Low at AMC Sunset Place Theatres in South Miami for the screening of Step Up 2. Afterward, he talked to The Miami Herald about his upcoming debut album Mail On Sundays, and what he loves about South Florida.
Q. Is the album still coming in March?
Yeah, March 18, Mail On Sundays drops - Flo Rida had to go postal, you know, 'cause I like being different. We got Ricky Ross the Boss on there, we got Lil' Wayne on there, we got Trey Songz, Brisco, Cash Money, Poe Boy artists, Yung Joc . . . we're doin' it big - we got the No. 1 song in the country, Low, so we're looking forward to having the No. 1 album, making a classic album.
Q. What does the title mean?
Grinding every day - receiving your blessings every day, not just the one particular day. So Mail On Sundays represents being different and having the courage and the faith to do what you do - prep, persistence and patience.
Q. Describe your sound.
I'm definitely influenced by the South because I was born here, but I grew up listening to all types of music. My older brother, he listened to Jimi Hendrix, Marvin Gaye, things like that, so it's like a gumbo of everything. I have a melodic sound because my sisters grew up singing gospel. I can't sing, but I can hold a note, so with the combination of all that, you get Flo Rida.
Q. Did the success of Low take you by surprise?
Oh, definitely - and it's growing more and more each day. I mean, all the grinding and hard work I put in, I expect things to happen, but at this magnitude, I don't think anyone would know that this was gonna happen.
Q. What do you like about Miami?
Aw, man. The weather, the women [laughs] - it's all good. My family's here, so . . . there's no place like home.
Q. Favorite hangouts here?
Right now I'm definitely loving hanging in the studio [laughs] - that where the success and the blessings come from. But I love just hanging in my APT's in the projects - that's where I grew up - hanging on South Beach, the different clubs, comedy shows.
- Things to do this weekend in Miami - Jan. 29-31
- Naughty By Nature at LIV, Fashion on Film at Bal Harbour, The Art of Rum and Spam
- Miami Latin Nightclubs
- Happy hours, Pink Floyd yoga, Trick Daddy, jazz & Nu Deco
- Things to do in Miami this weekend - Jan. 22-24
- Life in Color returns to Miami with Jack U, Zeds Dead, Steve Aoki and more
- Go Drink This: Proper Rum and Coke
- Miami Heat after party, EPIC new happy hours, Life in Color & Wine & Reggae in Wynwood
- Things to do in Miami this weekend - Jan. 8-10
- Ballers: National YoungArts, The Big Lebowski, Digweed & more!