Flo Rida is All Rida
With his No. 1 hit Low, Miami rapper Flo Rida is ready for more.
By Michael Hamersly
Miami homeboy Flo Rida (pronounced "flow ride-ah") recently performed his No. 1 hit Low at AMC Sunset Place Theatres in South Miami for the screening of Step Up 2. Afterward, he talked to The Miami Herald about his upcoming debut album Mail On Sundays, and what he loves about South Florida.
Q. Is the album still coming in March?
Yeah, March 18, Mail On Sundays drops - Flo Rida had to go postal, you know, 'cause I like being different. We got Ricky Ross the Boss on there, we got Lil' Wayne on there, we got Trey Songz, Brisco, Cash Money, Poe Boy artists, Yung Joc . . . we're doin' it big - we got the No. 1 song in the country, Low, so we're looking forward to having the No. 1 album, making a classic album.
Q. What does the title mean?
Grinding every day - receiving your blessings every day, not just the one particular day. So Mail On Sundays represents being different and having the courage and the faith to do what you do - prep, persistence and patience.
Q. Describe your sound.
I'm definitely influenced by the South because I was born here, but I grew up listening to all types of music. My older brother, he listened to Jimi Hendrix, Marvin Gaye, things like that, so it's like a gumbo of everything. I have a melodic sound because my sisters grew up singing gospel. I can't sing, but I can hold a note, so with the combination of all that, you get Flo Rida.
Q. Did the success of Low take you by surprise?
Oh, definitely - and it's growing more and more each day. I mean, all the grinding and hard work I put in, I expect things to happen, but at this magnitude, I don't think anyone would know that this was gonna happen.
Q. What do you like about Miami?
Aw, man. The weather, the women [laughs] - it's all good. My family's here, so . . . there's no place like home.
Q. Favorite hangouts here?
Right now I'm definitely loving hanging in the studio [laughs] - that where the success and the blessings come from. But I love just hanging in my APT's in the projects - that's where I grew up - hanging on South Beach, the different clubs, comedy shows.
- 13 events you can't miss in Miami this weekend - April 29-May 1
- 9 events not to miss in Miami this weekend - April 22-24
- Discounted drinks & designer duds, Yandel & Gadiel for free, missing matzo, and an ode to Drake
- 13 events you can't miss in Miami this weekend - April 15-17
- New Pubbelly venture: PB Station in downtown
- 12 events not to miss in Miami this weekend - April 8-10
- Piano playing in Wynwood, Macy's parading at Icon, pop culture on the Gale rooftop & Led Zep yoga @ Anatomy at 1220
- 12 Best Events in Miami this Weekend - April 1-3
- Crab racing & beer in Wynwood, art auctions & pig at The Ritz-Carlton, South Beach
- 9 great events in Miami this weekend - March 25-27