Flo Rida to be the Grand Marshall at the Great Grove Bed Race
The annual mad dash through the streets of Coconut Grove on rolling beds returns Nov. 3.
Get in bed with Flo Rida at the Great Grove Bed Race on Sunday, Nov. 3. He joins celebrity judges Mayor Thomas Regalado, Grammy Award-winning singer and Miami local Karina Iglesias of The Voice and Commissioner Marc Sarnoff, to be Grand Marshall of the mattress madness.
For the uninitiated, the Great Grove Bed Race, which takes place on Bayshore Drive by Peacock Park, brings together five-person race teams plus their five-person pit crews for a mad dash down the road all in the name of charity. The 2013 competition will benefit Dress for Success Miami. The teams are challenged to create rolling beds that can pick up enough speed to dust the competition without tossing off the team member chosen to ride on top. The race isn't just about speed, though. Teams will also be awarded in categories like "Best Artistry," "Best Engineered," "Just Plain Funniest" and "Most Dressed For Success." The teams have been fundraising since the summer, the team who raised the most funds will get a one-foot head start.
Entries in recent years have depicted everything from a bed-ridden President Obama to last year’s top prizewinner, a Victorian themed bed by The Olfactory Company complete with white powder and wigs.
The day starts with a family pajama party at 11 a.m. with free games, Billy the Marlin, a kid’s race course, interactive race games, acrobatic shows and music, a pre-race party zooming into a pit row parade where attendees can text your vote for Crowd Favorite, which will be the top prize of the day.
Great Grove Bed Race
Nov. 3, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
Bayshore Drive by Peacock Park, Coconut Grove
adults $5, kids 12 and under free all day
See and Do
- Discounts! Freebies! Prizes! Oh, and you’ll have to take the bus
- 7 stars not to miss at Paradise City Comic Con
- 11 Holiday-themed Events in Miami
- Prism Creative Group has Miami's social itinerary - Dec. 1-15
- Free and cheap events in Miami this weekend - Dec. 2-4
- Super 8 Motels is ditching its old art and it can be yours
- 7 Reactions Cuban Americans Had to Fidel Castro’s Death
- Events in Miami in December 2016
- Courtney Love can now scratch musical theater off her bucket list
- Five Things to do After Stuffing Yourself on Thanksgiving