Flo Rida to be the Grand Marshall at the Great Grove Bed Race
The annual mad dash through the streets of Coconut Grove on rolling beds returns Nov. 3.
Great Grove Bed Race
Nov. 3, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
Bayshore Drive by Peacock Park, Coconut Grove
adults $5, kids 12 and under free all day
Get in bed with Flo Rida at the Great Grove Bed Race on Sunday, Nov. 3. He joins celebrity judges Mayor Thomas Regalado, Grammy Award-winning singer and Miami local Karina Iglesias of The Voice and Commissioner Marc Sarnoff, to be Grand Marshall of the mattress madness.
For the uninitiated, the Great Grove Bed Race, which takes place on Bayshore Drive by Peacock Park, brings together five-person race teams plus their five-person pit crews for a mad dash down the road all in the name of charity. The 2013 competition will benefit Dress for Success Miami. The teams are challenged to create rolling beds that can pick up enough speed to dust the competition without tossing off the team member chosen to ride on top. The race isn't just about speed, though. Teams will also be awarded in categories like "Best Artistry," "Best Engineered," "Just Plain Funniest" and "Most Dressed For Success." The teams have been fundraising since the summer, the team who raised the most funds will get a one-foot head start.
Entries in recent years have depicted everything from a bed-ridden President Obama to last year’s top prizewinner, a Victorian themed bed by The Olfactory Company complete with white powder and wigs.
The day starts with a family pajama party at 11 a.m. with free games, Billy the Marlin, a kid’s race course, interactive race games, acrobatic shows and music, a pre-race party zooming into a pit row parade where attendees can text your vote for Crowd Favorite, which will be the top prize of the day.
See and Do
- Miami Events - October 2014
- House of Horror curdles with more frights
- Pumpkin patches, family movies & freebie crafts: Munchkin Fun's top picks for the week
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - Sept. 26-28
- Spanish singer Pitingo’s “Souleria” blends flamenco with R&B soul
- Little Havana’s Viernes Culturales still serves up Latin culture
- Gay past meets present in GableStage’s ‘Mothers and Sons’
- Seaon of the Arts: Top theater events of 2014-15
- Disney on ice, mini camps & specialty crafts - Munchkin Fun's picks for the week
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - Sept. 19-21