Ten Years of Cubalibre Block Party
Cubalibre Block Party takes over Coral Gables for a night of nostalgia and fun.
Cubalibre Block Party
Friday, May 17 from 5 p.m.-2 a.m.
300 block of Alhambra Circle between Le Jeune Road and Salzedo Avenue, Coral Gables
The Globe Café and Bar in Coral Gables celebrates ten years of its annual ¡Cubalibre Blockparty!, a celebration of Cuba's first Independence in 1902 and a nostalgic look at the Cuba of days long past. Here are the top ten reasons to go to this tropical block party.
1. It's Free
We can't stress enough how nice (and difficult) it is to encounter free and fun entertainment in Miami.
2. Salsa classes
Salsa Lovers studio brings a troop of dancers who will turn you into a pro in minutes. OK, that is a lie, but they will give you some tips so you can hold your own at the next Cuban wedding you attend.
3. Edwin Bonilla y su Son
Edwin Bonilla, the veteran percussionist who has performed with all the big names in Tropical music - from Gloria Estefan to Ricky Martin - is joined by Freddy Cárdenas and Cheito Quinones for a show that will bring out the salsa dancer in everyone.
Nothing says tropical like a hand-rolled stogie.
Take a trip down memory lane during the musical tribute to Bebo Valdes, the pioneering bandleader, composer and arranger who was on the vanguard of the golden age of Cuban music, who died last March at age 94.
Enjoy the songs your abuela used to play on her old record player with music by DJ El Russo.
7. Los 3 De La Habana
This year's headliners bring a dose of Cuban rhythm with a Latin fusion twist.
Chivas Regal is in charge of the pouring this year so if you feel yourself in need of a little refreshment, a bar will not be too far away.
9. Late Night
If you are in it to win it, The Globe will have DJ Nelly spinning inside until way past the kiddies bedtimes (until 2 a.m., that is).
The partying and dancing (and drinking and eating) will go to support Regis House, the mental health service provider.
See and Do
- Pumpkin patches, parties and trick-or-treating: Munchkin Fun's 2014 Halloween Guide
- MIFFecito: A Shot of Cinema
- Grovetoberfest brings craft beer to Miami's masses
- Playwright Vanessa Garcia tackles identity in exile in her new play 'The Cuban Spring'
- Two generations of Latin music-makers gather in Miami for Red Bull Siempre Fresco
- Trick or treating, holiday crafts & The Lego Movie: Munchkin Fun's top picks for the week
- Casino Night event in Coral Gables benefits at-risk children
- The Beatles arrive at HistoryMiami
- Coral Gables Art Cinema hosts Miami International Children’s Film Festival
- 'Frida: Unmasked' explores the life of famed artist Frida Kahlo