Ten Years of Cubalibre Block Party
Cubalibre Block Party takes over Coral Gables for a night of nostalgia and fun.
The Globe Café and Bar in Coral Gables celebrates ten years of its annual ¡Cubalibre Blockparty!, a celebration of Cuba's first Independence in 1902 and a nostalgic look at the Cuba of days long past. Here are the top ten reasons to go to this tropical block party.
1. It's Free
We can't stress enough how nice (and difficult) it is to encounter free and fun entertainment in Miami.
2. Salsa classes
Salsa Lovers studio brings a troop of dancers who will turn you into a pro in minutes. OK, that is a lie, but they will give you some tips so you can hold your own at the next Cuban wedding you attend.
3. Edwin Bonilla y su Son
Edwin Bonilla, the veteran percussionist who has performed with all the big names in Tropical music - from Gloria Estefan to Ricky Martin - is joined by Freddy Cárdenas and Cheito Quinones for a show that will bring out the salsa dancer in everyone.
Nothing says tropical like a hand-rolled stogie.
Take a trip down memory lane during the musical tribute to Bebo Valdes, the pioneering bandleader, composer and arranger who was on the vanguard of the golden age of Cuban music, who died last March at age 94.
Enjoy the songs your abuela used to play on her old record player with music by DJ El Russo.
7. Los 3 De La Habana
This year's headliners bring a dose of Cuban rhythm with a Latin fusion twist.
Chivas Regal is in charge of the pouring this year so if you feel yourself in need of a little refreshment, a bar will not be too far away.
9. Late Night
If you are in it to win it, The Globe will have DJ Nelly spinning inside until way past the kiddies bedtimes (until 2 a.m., that is).
The partying and dancing (and drinking and eating) will go to support Regis House, the mental health service provider.
Cubalibre Block Party
Friday, May 17 from 5 p.m.-2 a.m.
300 block of Alhambra Circle between Le Jeune Road and Salzedo Avenue, Coral Gables
See and Do
- 5 kinds of guys you'll wind up meeting in Miami's dating scene
- So you think you can dance? Prove it on National Dance Day with the Miami City Ballet
- 7 things you must taste when in Miami
- 9 Instagram-Worthy Photo Opps in Miami
- 10 free and cheap events in Miami this weekend - July 22-24
- Things we discovered on a 74-mile car trip on the Tamiami Trail from Miami to Naples
- Finding craft beer at Miami sports venues
- 9 events you can't miss in Miami - August 2016
- 9 weird things you see in Miami
- Are these are the best places in Miami to propose to your loved one?