The Fish Box
Miami's best sandwich has a tail sticking out of it...
The Fish Box food truck by La Camaronera.
Address: Find each day’s location at facebook.com/garciabrothersseafood or twitter.com/lacamaronera
Hours: 11:30am-3pm and 6pm-10pm
Prices: Sandwiches $5-$6, shrimp box $7, side dishes $2.50-$6.50, dessert $3.50
FYI: Cash only. The same menu and more is available at La Camaronera, 1952 W. Flagler St., Miami; 9 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Sunday; 305-642-3322
I have tasted Miami’s best sandwich, and it has a tail sticking out of it.
It’s served daily for lunch, and sometimes dinner, out of the fish shack on wheels launched this fall by La Camaronera, the beloved Cuban-American seafood market and counter in Little Havana. The food truck is called The Fish Box, and the eye-rolling sandwich is the Minuta. It’s the freshest, most delicate yellowtail snapper, boned, lightly breaded and fried with its tail still attached. Perched between two Cuban bread rolls, the meaty white fish is served with tartar and red sauces. Here’s the hook: It’s only $5.
There are also shrimp and dolphin sandwiches, fried calamari, fish fingers, French fries and the occasional lobster sandwich and bollitos de carita (black-eyed-pea fritters that look like hush puppies). Desserts are Miami classics such as tres leches cake and Key lime pie. The seafood is local and fresh from the Garcia Brothers Seafood Co., which has its own fleet of fishing boats.
Like fishing, finding The Fish Box requires patience. You follow the truck on Facebook or Twitter to get each day’s location. Most afternoons, it can be found at Bayfront Park, 301 N. Biscayne Blvd., in downtown Miami. The truck, which recently started dinner rounds, has been spotted evenings in the Gables, Brickell and Downtown. It promises to make dinner-time appearances in South Beach Dec. 1-4 for Art Basel – the perfect edible art in a box.
- Aventura Mall's Bloomingdale’s cafe offers a break from shopping craze
- Makis Place adds more sushi to the Grove
- Bite into grab-and-go gourmet at Fort Lauderdale's Rumi
- Pao Town brings Asian street food to Coral Gables
- Stay in with homey Colombian fare from Davie's La Placita
- Stay in with grilled cheese from Mr. Cheezious
- Stay in with healthy fast food at Fort Lauderdale's Energy Kitchen
- BBQ, margaritas and music await at Brother Jimmy's in South Miami
- Agave Mexican serves Mexican fusion in Deerfield Beach
- Hallandale’s HomeTown Buffet is a buffet bonanza