First look: RA Sushi
South Miami rolls (get it? rolls?) out a new raw fish joint. And it's yummy.
By Aurora Rodríguez
The goods: Those in suburban-friendly South Miami looking for a posh yet fun spot to dine can seek solace in 225-seat RA, a place that isn't afraid to mix their sophisticated décor and tongue-in-cheek ads featuring funny fish. Dim, red lighting and leather seating keeps you bouncing to a soundtrack of a whole lotta indie rock: Modest Mouse, Green Day and Muse. Here, party time and dinnertime might as well be the same thing.
Speculators might think Miami has more than enough sushi spots, but unique RA may easily change their mind. While certain spots rely on over-the-top rolls that really don't live up their hype, this chain bar/restaurant (it got its start in Arizona) actually lives up to its reputation of serving yummy food with a twist, ambiance included.
The grub: Indulge your inner sophisticate with a saketini, or inner frat boy with a sake bomb. Beer and sake "combos" are $7. Starters are less than $8 and include veggie-friendly spinach gyoza served with a tangy sesame-mustard sauce and pineapple cheese wontons. The Viva Las Vegas roll mixes cream cheese, spicy tuna and tempura, and non-sushi eaters can dig into Asian-fusion apple teriyaki salmon topped with a Fuji apple glaze.
Most rolls range between $8 and $13, however, those looking to save some cash are in luck: Sunday night's Flying Fish Lounge features $1 sake, spicy tuna rolls less than $4, cheap well drinks and other discounts. One can also come during the week and get a similar treatment with happy hour from 4-7 p.m. Monday through Friday.
The verdict: RA Sushi is perfectly prepped to give local upscale sushi joints a run for roll bragging rights by offering a loungy atmosphere and menu with approachable prices.
RA Sushi, 5829 SW 73rd St, South Miami; 305-341-0092; 201 SW 145th Terr, Pembroke Pines; 954-342-5454
Eaten here? Leave a review!
- The Cypress Room in Miami is now Cypress Tavern: See the differences
- Deco Dining at Driftwood Room
- Bivalves and Cocktails at Izzy's Fish & Oyster
- TiramesU reopens with a focus on upscale Italian cooking
- 26 Sushi & Tapas puts a modern spin on kosher fusion
- La Fresa Francesa Petit Café puts a piece of Paris in Hialeah
- Marion wants to charm you with Med-inspired eats
- Bazi takes South Beach eaters on an Asian culinary tour
- French import Plethore & Balthazar lands in SoFi
- Brasserie Azur brings buzzy French food to midtown Miami