A First Look at the Hotel Astor's Downstairs, a hip supper club with craft beers and upscale American food
Foie gras French toast and craft beers debut Downstairs
Downstairs at Hotel Astor
956 Washington Ave, Miami Beach
The who: The Hotel Astor debuts Downstairs, a supper club helmed by chef Chad Ford (DeVito's South Beach).
The space: A subterranean dining room entered through the hotel lobby. Original terrazzo floors are accessorized with a polished leather bar, whitewashed wood and communal tables.
Outdoors: There’s an inviting terrace nicely shielded from the Washington Avenue fray.
Craft beers: Local and nationally-sourced brews such as Rhode Island Narragansett Lager, Funky Buddha’s “Floridian” Brew and Jai Alai IPA by Cigar City Brewing.
The dishes: Contemporary American. Prices are in keeping with South Beach: Starters $10-$18 and mains $23-$42.
Starters include a light lobster consommé with seafood dumpling, bibb lettuce salad with gorgonzola and candied walnuts and foie gras French toast with grilled pineapple.
Mains include a lamb Wellington, 24-hour braised short rib with parsnip mash, black cod with apple compote, an 8oz filet and a Greg Norman Australian rib cap.
The bottom line: The Astor’s Downstairs is a hip supper club with craft beers and upscale American food.
- Tracking Miami taco joints, from South Beach to Wynwood
- SeaWatch restaurant gets a face-lift in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea
- Hibachi Grill serves oodles of noodles and more in Miami
- Take a tour through Asia at Origin Bistro in Key Biscayne
- It's Southern cookin' with Miami flair at The Local gastropub in Coral Gables
- Sapore di Mare serves a slice of Italy in Coconut Grove
- Way more than spuds at Mash Potatoes restaurant in Coral Gables
- Moroccan and French flavors find a home at Rouge Café in Miami Beach
- Weezie's in Oakland Park bakes with love, not wheat
- Stop to smell this South Beach rose in the Stiles Hotel