First look: Half Moon Empanadas
Papa John's again? Really? This new SoBe spot wants to deliver South America's favorite snack to your doorstep.
By Elena Kenny
The goods: Juan Zavala Jr. has been living in the United States since he was eight; however, he never forgot the empanadas from his native Argentina that have become the focus of his first business, Half Moon Empanadas (named for the shape of the classic South American treat), in Miami Beach. The idea for the business came after a trip to Argentina, recalls Zavala's wife Pilar Guzmán-Zavala. During a family gathering in the South American country they voted to order pizzas or empanadas. Zavala realized there wasn't a location in Miami that would deliver the latter. "And that's how Half Moon Empanadas started," says Mexico-born Guzmán-Zavala. "With the simplest of ideas."
The grub: A huge selection of empanadas to choose from: meat, corn, jam, onion and veggie, plus pasteles (sweet pastries), soft drinks and coffee. Zavala says the homemade recipe ensures high quality at good prices. Three empanadas, potato chips and a coffee or soft drink is $6.99. Dine in or have them delivered to their doorstep.
The verdict: Zavala hopes that, when it comes to deliveries, empanadas will be the new pizza. In Miami, he's got a good shot.
Half Moon Empanada,1616 Washington Ave., Miami Beach; 305-532-5277
Eaten here? Leave a review!
- New chef, new look for Azul at the Mandarin Oriental Miami
- Porfirio's Restaurant puts upscale Mexican food in South Beach
- Fork and Balls busts out a lotta love for meatballs in Fort Lauderdale
- L'echon Brasserie blends French classics with Pubbelly twists in Miami Beach
- La Gazzetta in Miami draws crowds for its pizzas, happy hour, desserts
- New El'eat Restaurant goes for Modern American in North Miami Beach
- New-look Larios on the Beach puts an Estefan spin on Cuban food
- Basil Park boosts healthy food in Sunny Isles Beach
- New BLT Prime gets Trump treatment in Doral
- New AQ restaurant serves Florida-centric fare in Sunny Isles Beach's ritzy Acqualina Resort