First look: Dune Oceanfront Burger Lounge
The Ritz classes up the burger by adding a beach backdrop and fancy fixins.
By Sara Liss
The goods: Seeking to capitalize on their stunning oceanfront locale, the palatial Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne has opened the St. Tropez-esque Dune Oceanfront Burger Lounge where the burgers are as posh as the surroundings. Plush lounges, oversize beds and private cabanas give this outdoor spot a relaxed jet-setter feel, where diners can pad around barefoot on the sandy expanse while partaking in razzle-dazzle views. An in-house DJ keeps the music to a lounge-friendly level and infuses the spot with an Ibiza-like levity.
The grub: Burgers, sliders and more burgers. If you're in the mood for pampered fast food, this is your spot. Beyond the usual American classic with cheese, diners can choose from an organic turkey burger with mushroom and melted brie, an ahi tuna steak burger with preserved lemon, basil and caper aioli and the decadent kobe beef sliders topped with sautéed foie gras and picolit grape jam. Don't expect drive-thru prices for these upscale eats, this is the Ritz after all. The kobe burgers will set you back $28 while the American classic is $16. All the burgers come with crispy matchstick french fries. The restaurant also offers a brief menu of burger alternatives like a Caesar salad, a chilled cucumber soup with crab mayonnaise and a Peruvian snapper ceviche with white corn and sweet potatoes.
An extensive beverage menu including Jeroboams of champagne, specialty champagne cocktails and freezes, rosè, white and red wines, sangrias and international beers provide ample tippling options.
The verdict: It's about time Miami had a relaxing chic outdoor spot on par with Nikki Beach (with thankfully no snooty door policy). Dune's off-the-beach location provides a mini-getaway with gourmet eats and service to attract a well-heeled crowd.
Dune Oceanfront Burger Lounge, 455 Grand Bay Dr. Key Biscayne; 305-365-4500
- First Look: Dragonfly adds to Doral dining scene
- First Look: 1111 Peruvian Bistro brings polished Peruvian to Brickell
- First Look: Glass & Vine brings new energy to Coconut Grove
- Ichimi in Coral Gables for Ramen lovers
- The Miami River Gets Fancy with The River Yacht Club
- Jeff McInnis and Janine Booth tackle "American dim sum" at Sarsaparilla Club
- Los Fuegos is Francis Mallmann's "open fire" kitchen at Faena Hotel
- Plant Food and Wine opens in Wynwood with upscale vegan and raw dishes
- The Juvia folks branch out with Sushi Garage in Sunset Harbour
- Ariete Gives Us a Reason to Trek to the Grove