First look: Dune Oceanfront Burger Lounge
The Ritz classes up the burger by adding a beach backdrop and fancy fixins.
By Sara Liss
The goods: Seeking to capitalize on their stunning oceanfront locale, the palatial Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne has opened the St. Tropez-esque Dune Oceanfront Burger Lounge where the burgers are as posh as the surroundings. Plush lounges, oversize beds and private cabanas give this outdoor spot a relaxed jet-setter feel, where diners can pad around barefoot on the sandy expanse while partaking in razzle-dazzle views. An in-house DJ keeps the music to a lounge-friendly level and infuses the spot with an Ibiza-like levity.
The grub: Burgers, sliders and more burgers. If you're in the mood for pampered fast food, this is your spot. Beyond the usual American classic with cheese, diners can choose from an organic turkey burger with mushroom and melted brie, an ahi tuna steak burger with preserved lemon, basil and caper aioli and the decadent kobe beef sliders topped with sautéed foie gras and picolit grape jam. Don't expect drive-thru prices for these upscale eats, this is the Ritz after all. The kobe burgers will set you back $28 while the American classic is $16. All the burgers come with crispy matchstick french fries. The restaurant also offers a brief menu of burger alternatives like a Caesar salad, a chilled cucumber soup with crab mayonnaise and a Peruvian snapper ceviche with white corn and sweet potatoes.
An extensive beverage menu including Jeroboams of champagne, specialty champagne cocktails and freezes, rosè, white and red wines, sangrias and international beers provide ample tippling options.
The verdict: It's about time Miami had a relaxing chic outdoor spot on par with Nikki Beach (with thankfully no snooty door policy). Dune's off-the-beach location provides a mini-getaway with gourmet eats and service to attract a well-heeled crowd.
Dune Oceanfront Burger Lounge, 455 Grand Bay Dr. Key Biscayne; 305-365-4500
- Buns & Buns serves up bread-based dishes with gastropub leanings in South Miami
- The Prime112 team unveils seafood-centric Prime Fish on South Beach
- Take a "First Look" at 15 Steps: Farm-to-table eats at the Eden Roc
- Chef-owner Rocco Carulli brings R House, a lounge-gallery-restaurant, to Wynwood
- Nothing But the Best delivers elegant simplicity in Brickell
- Fashion designer Roberto Cavalli opens his first Miami restaurant on South Beach
- Seasalt and Pepper brings upscale Mediterranean seafood to the Miami River
- The Quattro & Segafredo teams open Via Verdi Cucina Rustica on Biscayne
- Sugarcane chef Timon Balloo and the Sushisamba restaurant group open Bocce Bar in Midtown
- Bourbon Steak Chef Michael Mina gets clubby with Michael Mina 74 at the Fontainebleau