4/27/2011Funny guy Michael McDonald may share a name with a certain Doobie Brothers frontman, but that doesn’t mean he can hit the high notes. He’s willing to try, however. The former MADtv star promised to “hum a few bars” at his upcoming shows at the Fort Lauderdale Improv. “If people mistakenly buy tickets thinking I’m him, then I’m willing to make them happy.” Pleasing the crowd is what makes McDonald tick. He’s doesn’t enjoy poking fun at the people who shell out money to come see him. He likes to think of the audience as his “friends sitting across the table.” Of course, no show would be complete without a mention of his MADtv days and McDonald’s famous character, Stuart Larkin.“Cops stop me on the street all the time, and I think, ‘Oh no, what have I been up to?’” he laughed. “They just want to show me their best impersonations of Stuart.” McDonald is a writer and director of ABC’s hit comedy Cougar Town. He’s also had camera time as a snooty owner of a wine bar. Of the show, he says, “There are some fun developments coming up and a revelation that’s going to make things very interesting.” McDonald loves working with the cast, especially Courteney Cox, aka “the coolest girl” he’s ever met. McDonald says he finds himself attracted to the Sunshine State. “Florida is a strange place. There are serial killers, alligators, crazy weather, crystal meth addiction and the fanciest of the fancies. I was raised on a diet of strange so I’m very comfortable with all of it.” McDonald performs Friday and Saturday at the Fort Lauderdale Improv. For tickets, go to http://improvftl.com/index.cfm. Micaela Hood
On Our Radar
- Are Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie coming to Art Basel?
- Celebrity doctor's Grove home sells
- Miami teen hits the big time
- Inside details of Sofia Vergara's wedding
- DWTS cast members will present SWAY: A Dance Trilogy at Olympia Theater
- Trey Songz and friends spend the day giving back.
- Recap: Miami.com Experience - Pop-Up Dinner at Bocce with Sugarcane
- Tiger Woods' ex holds dinner in Palm Beach
- Jamaican pop star OMI at club opening
- Miami's (wannabe) adopted son David Beckham is 'Sexiest Man'