Family-friendly New Year's Eve
Don't want to wait for the New Year at home? Here are a few places to take the entire brood that shouldn't be full of drunken college kids (hopefully).
So, there is no guarantee that most of these places won't be inundated with people drinking vodka in flasks and screaming exuberant obscenities in front of your four-year-old. But they are public, so you can bank on a little police presence. If your kids can hang until the midnight fireworks, then these places are your best bet to have a festive New Year's Eve.
Watch the "Big Orange" ascend the side of the Intercontinental Hotel and enjoy a Disco Dance Party with DJ Tarik spinning until midnight when the fireworks begin. The family-friendly event is free; festivities start at 8 p.m. No bottles, cans, coolers or fireworks allowed. Bayfront Park, 301 N. Biscayne Blvd., Miami; 305-358-7550.
The city celebrates its annual Downtown Countdown featuring 12 hours of activities, two stages, DJs, bounce houses, face painting. At the stroke of midnight, the lighted ball descends. This event takes place on Southwest Second Street between Second and Fourth avenues. Free. Call 954-828-5363 for more information.
The street becomes Orange Drive for a three-day celebration leading up to the Orange Bowl. On New Year’s Eve the kids can enjoy the Kid’s Countdown hosted by Radio Disney from 11 a.m.-3 p.m. featuring a show by Kicking Daisies. Grownups will enjoy "Jam on the Sand," with Natasha Bedingfield, Leona Lewis and DJ Irie starting at 8 p.m. Fireworks kick off at midnight. Starting at 8 p.m. New Year’s Day, enjoy El Concierto del Año Nuevo with DJ Nino, Gilberto Santa Rosa, Albita and Hansel y Raul. On Jan. 2, head over for the Orange Bowl pep rally with music, cheerleaders from Stanford and Virginia Tech and more. Festivities take place on Ocean Drive between 5th and 10th streets in Miami Beach. More info visit www.orangedr.com.
See and Do
- 5 free and cheap events in Miami this weekend - Sept. 30-Oct.2
- Debate watching parties in Miami
- 7 Places You Must Visit in Key Biscayne
- Louis C.K. announces four show run at Arsht Center in November
- Miami public spaces are getting a makeover with these upcoming projects
- 12 Things You Didn't Know about Jean-Michel Basquiat
- 5 free and cheap events in Miami this weekend - Sept. 23-25
- Live the nostalgia of ‘¿Qué Pasa, USA?’ this Saturday
- 4 Fitness Events in South Florida for Gym Rats
- Everglades gets funky with Wynwood benefit