Pick up quick, healthy Mediterranean at Fala Falafel
2275 S. University Dr, Davie
Hours: 10am-9pm Monday-Saturday, 11am-8pm Sunday
Prices: Sandwiches $5.49-$6.99, salads $6.49-$7.49, smoothies $4.99-$5.99;
It's not easy to find healthy options when you're on the run. We often grab a burger and fries, then deal with the guilt and girth later. But options like Davie's Fala Falafel are springing up, with quick, healthy fare you can eat there or take on the road. For vegetarians, it's a welcome option. The 2-month-old Mediterranean nook (with the original branch in Delray Beach) in Davie serves fresh sandwiches, wraps and salads you order at the counter, where you'll find 14 toppings and a choice of eight sauces. You can't beat the restaurant's namesake falafel. Young, friendly servers load a pita (whole wheat available) with the fried chickpea balls and you can choose as many toppings as you want.
Our favorites are the Israeli salad with diced tomatoes, cucumbers and onions; sliced cucumbers with dill; and corn kernels spiked with pickles and green peppers. You can get hummus and a refreshing tabbouleh on the side. Among the sauces, we like the lemon-scented tzatziki and kicky Turkish hot sauce, but other choices include tahini, cilantro and a rich concoction teaming the Turkish hot sauce, mayo and ketchup. For $2 extra, make it a combo with house-made fries or pita chips dusted with Israeli seasonings, served with hummus, plus a drink. Carnivores can fill up on a gyro pita, stuffed with shaved beef and lamb or shawarma, shaved meat made of turkey, or spicy chicken. For a sweet ending, try the baklava or halvah (chocolate or pistachio) imported from Israel. Fala also offers the Israeli drink Jump. Or cool off with delicious smoothies. Students who flock here from nearby colleges are fans of the ones made with coffee. Another bonus for students: Those (with ID) attending nearby Broward College, Nova Southeastern University, Florida Atlantic University, Florida International University and Aveda Institute get a 15 percent discount.
- Aventura Mall's Bloomingdale’s cafe offers a break from shopping craze
- Makis Place adds more sushi to the Grove
- Bite into grab-and-go gourmet at Fort Lauderdale's Rumi
- Pao Town brings Asian street food to Coral Gables
- Stay in with homey Colombian fare from Davie's La Placita
- Stay in with grilled cheese from Mr. Cheezious
- Stay in with healthy fast food at Fort Lauderdale's Energy Kitchen
- BBQ, margaritas and music await at Brother Jimmy's in South Miami
- Agave Mexican serves Mexican fusion in Deerfield Beach
- Hallandale’s HomeTown Buffet is a buffet bonanza