Executive Chef Wanted: E. Michael Reidt out at Area 31
Michael Bloise is overseeing the kitchen until a new exec is found
Cosmetic renovations aren't the only changes being made at sustainable seafood hotspot Area 31. Executive Chef E. Michael Reidt is parting ways with the place in early June, confirms a publicist. Executive sous chef Michael Bloise isn't taking over, per se, but will oversee and execute the restaurant's terrace menu while the dining room goes under the knife. In the meantime, the restaurant is looking for an executive chef to carry the restaurant's culinary torch. A new menu, new look and, hopefully new chef, will debut sometime in August. As for Reidt, whom we heard was planning to do a series of pop ups around the globe this summer, we're told that things at the restaurant just didn't work out. "He was very unprofessional with managers, vendors and staff," says a kitchen mole who added, "He was a total wild card." As for why Bloise isn't going to assume the position of EC, the publicist says she isn't sure as she hasn't been part of the discussions, while an insider surmises "He may not want it. It's a big job that encompasses not just the restaurant, but the entire hotel."
- Jerry's Famous Deli on South Beach is now closed
- Now open: N by Naoe, Kevin Cory's new Brickell Key prix fixe lunch spot
- Ibiza club and Señor Frog's opening in South Beach?
- Umami Burger in Miami Beach closed; Blue Collar has new chef de cuisine; Phillip Bryant leaves Swine
- Khong River House experiments with new menu items
- Closed for "summer vacation": La Maison Miami
- CATCH is closed and allegedly moving to a new Miami location
- NYC-based the Chef Agency expands to Miami
- The Rumor Mill: Bal Harbour's La Goulue on way out, Stephen Starr in
- Slice of Brazil comes to life on urban farm in Fort Lauderdale