Ex-China Grill, Lantao Kitchen chef Ferdinand Ortiz Jr. named Mister Collins' new Executive Chef
Chef Ortiz, meet Mister Collins
An alum of kitchens at China Grill and more recently Lantao Kitchen, Chef Ferdinand Ortiz has been tapped as executive chef of Mister Collins at the swanky ONE Bal Harbour Resort & Spa. Ortiz will oversee the hotel's food & beverage operations in addition to the the Pool Bar & Grill and room service. “I like to bring bright flavors and unexpected ingredients to the plate, with impeccable technique,” says Ortiz. As for his plans for the menu, Ortiz says "I've been working diligently on signature menu items exclusive to Mister Collins. A Petite Veal Porterhouse, Chorizo-Vegetable Flan and Faux Apple souffle are a small taste of some new dishes we are sure will impress our diners." According to our sources, Ortiz's fans at the restaurant include recent hotel guests Simon Cowell and baby Mama Lauren Silverman, who were on the receiving end of Ortiz's off the menu dulce de leche crème and spiced orange guava jam. "VIPs at the resort get this as a turndown with brie and crackers, but you can actually get them at the restaurant if you ask nicely. They will sell them to you, they just don’t advertise it," says an insider.
10295 Collins Ave.
- New at Townhouse: K Ramen. Burger. Beer. Plus rooftop "destination" The Cape
- COYO Taco's Scott Linquist opens OLLA Nov. 28 on Lincoln Road
- Bazaar Mar by José Andrés at SLS Brickell open for biz Nov. 22
- My Ceviche opening 6th outpost later this month at The Shops at Midtown
- Is Jack Nicholson an investor in a soon-to-open Miami restaurant?
- Michael Schwartz's Fi'lia opens in Brickell next week
- Brazil's 24/7 French bistro Paris 6 opening October 24 on Miami Beach
- Mignonette opening second location in ex-Gourmet Diner space on Biscayne
- Ferran Adrià, Jorge Muñoz, Aaron Mulliss & Nick Beardshaw in Miami for Estrella Damm Gastronomy Congress
- Soyka's second act: Miami restaurateur to open first restaurant in 15 years