Ex-China Grill, Lantao Kitchen chef Ferdinand Ortiz Jr. named Mister Collins' new Executive Chef
Chef Ortiz, meet Mister Collins
An alum of kitchens at China Grill and more recently Lantao Kitchen, Chef Ferdinand Ortiz has been tapped as executive chef of Mister Collins at the swanky ONE Bal Harbour Resort & Spa. Ortiz will oversee the hotel's food & beverage operations in addition to the the Pool Bar & Grill and room service. “I like to bring bright flavors and unexpected ingredients to the plate, with impeccable technique,” says Ortiz. As for his plans for the menu, Ortiz says "I've been working diligently on signature menu items exclusive to Mister Collins. A Petite Veal Porterhouse, Chorizo-Vegetable Flan and Faux Apple souffle are a small taste of some new dishes we are sure will impress our diners." According to our sources, Ortiz's fans at the restaurant include recent hotel guests Simon Cowell and baby Mama Lauren Silverman, who were on the receiving end of Ortiz's off the menu dulce de leche crème and spiced orange guava jam. "VIPs at the resort get this as a turndown with brie and crackers, but you can actually get them at the restaurant if you ask nicely. They will sell them to you, they just don’t advertise it," says an insider.
10295 Collins Ave.
- Extra Ordinary: Vandy Vanderwarker of Charleston's The Ordinary shucking up at Mignonette in May
- Blue Collar restaurant hosting 2016 Matzo Chase - a scavenger hunt in Miami
- Richard Hales opening Bird & Bone Hot Chicken & Ribs at The Wynwood Yard
- Now Closed: The Oceanaire Seafood Room. Coming Soon to Mary Brickell Village: "Another Landry's concept"
- Norwegian DJ Kygo's just desserts at Komodo
- Top Chef Paul Qui of Faena Hotel's heralded Pao arrested for alleged drug-fueled assault on girlfriend
- Bachour Bakery + Bistro opening March 25 on Brickell
- High end Kaori by Walter Martino opening in Brickell area February 23
- Juvia's Japanese sibling Sushi Garage opens in Miami's Sunset Harbor 'hood
- Now open: Coconut Grove's Spasso--"Simple, honest, brutal food"