Every Thursday night is ladies night at the SLS Hotel South Beach
A look at this weekend's can't miss events
Oh What a Night
The swanky new SLS Hotel South Beach (1701 Collins Ave.) is a mecca for food fanatics, scene chasers and celebrities, but it's not cheap. To counter its costliness, all of the hotel's eating and drinking establishments are offering ladies' night specials every Thursday. From 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. at The Bazaar/Bar Centro, women will get two free glasses of cava; from 6 p.m. to midnight at Katsuya, there's a $35 ladies' menu from which you can choose three from a list that includes: shishito peppers, rock shrimp tempura, baked crab hand rolls, crispy rice with spicy tuna and yellowtail jalapeno; and from 9:30 p.m. to 11 p.m. at Hyde Beach, it's a full blown open bar.
Saturday's InterContinental Miami Make-A-Wish Ball isn't necessarily your daddy's charity affair, but catering to the young (and young at heart) charitable types is the ball's after party, the Make-A-Wish Nightclub, which began a few years ago under the guidance of ringleader Michael Capponi and has morphed into a monster (of the whimsical, festive Lady Gaga kind) of its own, taking place after the main event at 10:30 p.m. Included in the $100 ticket is open bar and entertainment of the musical and visual kind as you never know what sprightly socialite may be dancing on a table next to you. To buy tickets, call 305-695-4410.
Although Halloween is done and gone, Pinecrest Gardens, 11000 Red Road, is throwing a big fundraiser at 7 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 3. Masquerade in the Gardens will raise money for the conservation of the former Parrot Jungle property and its assorted educational and cultural initiatives and will feature a performance by Venezuelan singer Thania Sanz, jazz by Debby Orta, cocktails by Bacardi, all sorts of food, jugglers and fire eaters. Oh yes, fire eaters. The party will move into the garden's meadow, which will be transformed into an open air dance floor with tunes provided by the Continental Brass Band and DJ Mike Pileggi. Tickets are $150 per person and available by calling 305-669-6990.
Songs in the Key of Monday
South Beach’s new, swanky karaoke spot Jelsomino (247 23rd St., Miami Beach) has debuted a Monday night party, Out of the Box, hosted by Nicolas Coeur de Roy and Laurent Bourgade and featuring DJ John Cash making sure that not all the music is off key. Doors open at 10 p.m.
For a while it was looking as if the hamburger was Miami's unofficial official food. And from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 8 at Fred Hartnett Ponce Circle Park, 2810 Ponce de Leon Blvd., that very well may be the case thanks to the second annual Burgerliscious festival, featuring over 20 local restaurants competing for best burger as well as music, booze and did we mention burgers? Tickets start at $50, which includes six sliders and two Sam Adams beers. An unlimited burger ticket costs $100. For info, go to www.burgerliscious.com.
- Velvet Underground: Vinyl fever returns on Record Store Day, LA-based dark glam opera band 'Timur and the Dime Museum' plays for The Miami Light Project, and go retro with famed drag queen Elaine Lancaster at Miami Bingo Bash
- Velvet Underground: Heavyweight champion Shannon "The Cannon" Briggs hosts fight night at Wonderland, Cuban hip hopper Danay Suarez plays North Beach, Alberto Cabrera's Bread + Butter launches happy hour
- Velvet Underground: Gratis Champagne at Duffy's in North Miami Beach, Adoré Nightclub brings Vegas to South Beach, and yoga to soothe an over-partied soul at The Standard
- Velvet Underground: Pablo Picasso's grandson spins at Bâoli for WMC, Perfecto Gastrobar throws a party for Spanish dignitaries, hipsters converge at Lulu Laboratorium in Wynwood, and escape the EDM at The Cabaret
- Velvet Underground: Miami's Latin-funk pioneers perform at Tobacco Road for 20th anniversary, E11even in downtown Miami hosts happy hour, find your way into the hottest WMC parties, and Swine celebrates one year with a $2 Old Fashioned
- Velvet Underground: Floral couture with Kalla Flowers in Coral Gables, Hearts and Stars Gala at Terra Veritatis mansion, Cuban zeitgeist, and free Guinness at the Delano on St. Patty's Day
- Velvet Underground: The World Golf Championships hits Doral, MO Bar + Lounge opens at the Mandarin Oriental with cocktails by Angelo Vieira, OTC's Jacob Anaya cooks up a feast with Wynwood Brewing Co., and the Oscars of drag at Score
- Velvet Underground: Spa party at the Viceroy, Chaos Cooking comes to Miami, Spam Allstars drop a new album, and Sunday funday at The Broken Shaker
- Velvet Underground: The Dead Rabbit pops up at Patpong Road, The Stage launches 3-2-1 Lounge, Chippendales extends its visit, and Eats N Beats in the Design District
- Velvet Underground: Valentine's Day parties takeover nightlife at Baoli, the W Fort Lauderdale, Tobacco Road, the Delano, and more