Events: Wednesday, April 13
4/6/2011Chef Allen’s Burger and Beer Dinner: Five-course dinner featuring gourmet burgers paired with craft beers; 6:30 p.m.; Chef Allen’s, 19088 NE 29th Ave., Aventura; $59. Reservations required; 305-935-2900. Domaine de Canton Bartender of the Year Regional Semifinal Cocktail-Off: Maurice Cooper et Cie, producer and importer of Domaine de Canton ginger liqueur, presents the fourth semifinal regional competition for the Bartender of the Year Competition. Ten of Miami’s top mixologists show off their most creative cocktails to determine who goes to the finals on June 5-7 in St. Martin. Semifinalists include Camille Austin of Hakkasan at Fontainebleau, Elad Zvi of Bar Lab, and Gabriel Orta, Paul Sevigny and Richie Petronzi of The Florida Room at Delano Hotel. Free appetizers and samples of the competitors’ cocktails are available; 7 p.m., The Florida Room at Delano Hotel, 1685 Collins Ave., Miami Beach; free. 305-672-2000. Now Taste This: Celebrating National Poetry Month, Jen Karetnick, author of two chapbooks of poetry (“Necessary Salt” and “Bud Break at Mango House”) and Nick Vagnoni, Florida International University professor and founding member of Miami Poetry Collective, read poems focusing on restaurants and food while guests dine; 7 p.m., Vino e Olio, 139 NE 39th St., Miami; call for reservations. 305-573-0707. Taste of the Nation: Features dozens of Palm Beach County’s top chefs and restaurants, scores of wines and spirits, a VIP reception and a live auction. Benefits Share Our Strength’s No Kid Hungry Campaign; 6-9 p.m., Kravis Center for the Performing Arts, 701 Okeechobee Blvd., Cohen Pavilion, West Palm Beach; $150 VIP, $125 VIP in advance (includes an exclusive lounge area, cooking competitions, special wine and spirits and a gift bag); $100 general admission, $80 general admission in advance. 561-998-2983.
- The List: Corsair's Scott Conant
- Jean-Georges turns to Latino cooking at new Matador Room in Miami Beach
- New Year's beer: Anderson Valley Blood Orange Gose
- Armadillo Cafe to open in Boca Raton
- Hoffman's Chocolates engineers sweet treats for the holidays
- Chef changes at Verde, Steak 954, Makoto
- The List: Casa D'Angelo's Angelo Elia
- Michelle Bernstein's Seagrape serves upscale elegance in new Thompson Hotel
- Miami restaurant review: Is Iron Chef Morimoto up to the South Beach challenge?
- South Beach openings: Soho Bay, David's Cafe, a new Dewey's, Bodega, Chicken Kitchen, La Savina