Friday night watch emcees battle in the squared circle for the title of Best in Miami and $500.
Battle rapping has a long and storied place in the history of Hip Hop, from the early New York rappers shredding each other, to KRS-1 launching himself from being homeless in "The South, South Bronx" to instant sensation via an unmixed demo, to Eminem's discovery at the 1997 Rap Olympics in Los Angeles.
But as MTV usurped the Rap Olympics into one of their "True Life" shows, and hasn't updated their myspace page since 2008, it's safe to say that Hip Hop needed new games to showcase emcees in the squared circle.
Enter local nonprofit organization Difference Makers and their Miami Emcee Olympics, which take place Friday, April 23 at the Joseph Caleb Auditorium in Liberty City. Twenty emcees, including Lox Tha Rippa, will compete in a lightning round that will narrow the field to 10 competitors. The remaining 10 will narrow themselves down by rapping about random images on a big screen to rapidly changing tempos and finally facing off in pairs in assigned "conflict scenarios" to determine who walks away with the title and $500.
Sweetening the deal - a portion of the proceeds go to Haitian relief and two canned goods knock the door admission from $10 to $5.
Details - Friday, April 23 from 8 - 11:30 p.m. at Joseph Caleb Auditorium, 5400 NW 22nd Ave., Miami.
- 13 events in Miami this weekend that you should not miss - May 6-8
- 13 events you can't miss in Miami this weekend - April 29-May 1
- 12 Spots in South Florida to get your Cinco de Mayo on
- 9 events not to miss in Miami this weekend - April 22-24
- Discounted drinks & designer duds, Yandel & Gadiel for free, missing matzo, and an ode to Drake
- 13 events you can't miss in Miami this weekend - April 15-17
- New Pubbelly venture: PB Station in downtown
- 12 events not to miss in Miami this weekend - April 8-10
- Piano playing in Wynwood, Macy's parading at Icon, pop culture on the Gale rooftop & Led Zep yoga @ Anatomy at 1220
- 12 Best Events in Miami this Weekend - April 1-3