Friday night watch emcees battle in the squared circle for the title of Best in Miami and $500.
Battle rapping has a long and storied place in the history of Hip Hop, from the early New York rappers shredding each other, to KRS-1 launching himself from being homeless in "The South, South Bronx" to instant sensation via an unmixed demo, to Eminem's discovery at the 1997 Rap Olympics in Los Angeles.
But as MTV usurped the Rap Olympics into one of their "True Life" shows, and hasn't updated their myspace page since 2008, it's safe to say that Hip Hop needed new games to showcase emcees in the squared circle.
Enter local nonprofit organization Difference Makers and their Miami Emcee Olympics, which take place Friday, April 23 at the Joseph Caleb Auditorium in Liberty City. Twenty emcees, including Lox Tha Rippa, will compete in a lightning round that will narrow the field to 10 competitors. The remaining 10 will narrow themselves down by rapping about random images on a big screen to rapidly changing tempos and finally facing off in pairs in assigned "conflict scenarios" to determine who walks away with the title and $500.
Sweetening the deal - a portion of the proceeds go to Haitian relief and two canned goods knock the door admission from $10 to $5.
Details - Friday, April 23 from 8 - 11:30 p.m. at Joseph Caleb Auditorium, 5400 NW 22nd Ave., Miami.
- DJ Steve Lawler plays one party during Miami Music Week
- Paul Kalkbrenner makes his U.S. debut at Ultra
- Damian Lazarus is ready to Get Lost
- CD Review: Ultra Music Festival Compilation 2014
- Drink like an Irish whiskey master this St. Patrick's Day
- Velvet Underground: Floral couture with Kalla Flowers in Coral Gables, Hearts and Stars Gala at Terra Veritatis mansion, Cuban zeitgeist, and free Guinness at the Delano on St. Patty's Day
- Tonight: 'Bourbon & Beats' at Radio Bar in South Beach with hard-to-find Pappy Van Winkle 15-year
- Velvet Underground: The World Golf Championships hits Doral, MO Bar + Lounge opens at the Mandarin Oriental with cocktails by Angelo Vieira, OTC's Jacob Anaya cooks up a feast with Wynwood Brewing Co., and the Oscars of drag at Score
- Things to do in Miami this weekend - March 7 - 9
- Miami DJs unite for a Sunday party series at Will Call debuting on the anniversary of Biggie Smalls' death