Embedded: A Photojournalist Captures Conflict and Resistance
New exhibit at Freedom Tower presents photographer Jim Nickless' images of CIA-back Cuban dissidents in mid '60s.
Embedded: A Photojournalist Captures Conflict and Resistance, a show drawn from 800 images photojournalist Jim Nickless shot of CIA-funded Cuban rebels training to overthrow Fidel Castro, will be on view May 24-Aug. 11 at Miami Dade College’s Freedom Tower Gallery.
Nickless, who was a freelance cameraman for NBC News, photographed the rebels over nine months in the mid 1960s. The opening reception is at 7 p.m. May 24, and a gallery talk takes place at 1 p.m. June 1.
Two other summer shows also open May 24. Collections & Curiosities combines pieces from the art collections of two late Miamians, El Nuevo Herald theater critic Norma Niurka and gallery director Jock Truman, and Emergence & Structure explores scientific theory through works by artists including Ed Kerns and Mary Hambleton.
The gallery, at 600 Biscayne Blvd., Miami, is open from noon to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday; 305-237-7700.
See and Do
- Egg hunts, Dr. Seuss’s Bday, Legos & Pirates: Munchkin Fun's Top Picks Mar 2-8
- Richard Lewis takes the stage at Parker Playhouse in Fort Lauderdale on Friday
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - Feb. 27-March 1
- Miami Events - March 2015
- Things to do in Miami this weekend - Feb. 27-March 1
- South Beach Comedy Festival 2015 announces line-up
- Disney Live, Mommy’s Night Out, Food Trucks & Skating: Munchkin Fun's Top Picks Feb 23-29
- Things to Do in Miami this Weekend - Feb. 20-22
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - Feb. 14-16
- President’s Day Weekend Guide 2015