Feast on gourmet grub at a downtown Miami pub
The Union Jack lets you know you’ve found Elwoods Gastropub, a downtown Miami destination for elevated pub grub such as beer-battered cod loin with house-made tartar sauce, bangers and mash with spicy Cumberland pork sausage and sticky toffee pudding. Sandwiches are a cut above, too, with house-cured corned brisket in the Reuben, served along with burgers, chili, salads, wine by the glass and beer on tap.
The pub’s name is a play on the names of the publicans — Lewis Woods, a London native, and his wife, Lorry, who’s from Colorado. They worked for the same international shipping company, and when Lorry was sent to London on a sales trip, Lewis greeted her at the airport. They married three months later, and raised two sons from Lorry’s first marriage on the West Coast. The couple came to Miami a year ago, and gutted an old Cuban cafeteria to create the pub.
There are two categories of beer: ale and lager. Ale is brewed from yeast that is fermented at high temperatures at the top of the tank, while lager is made from a type of bottom yeast brewed and stored at cold temperatures. Both get a bitter edge from hops (the flower cone of a vine) balancing the sugars in malted grains.
Try crisp, medium-bodied Harpoon India Pale Ale from Boston or Fosters Australian full-strength golden lager with a clean hop finish. Belgian Trappist Chimay ale comes in red (dark with a toasted nut aroma and bread dough flavor), blue (fruity and peppery with a creamy head) and white (strong and hoppy).
Accompany a drink with sweet potato fries and chipotle mayo, battered and fried mushrooms with ranch sauce or spicy tofu curry with brown Texmati rice. Everything here is made from scratch including chocolate chip ice cream and baked-to-order cookies for the ice cream sandwich. Cheers!
188 NE Third Ave, Miami
Hours: Noon-11pm Monday-Friday, 11am-11pm Saturday-Sunday
Prices: Starters $5.50-$10, mains $7.50-$11.50, soups and salads $5-$11, desserts $4
FYI: Happy hour 3-7 p.m. weekdays, comedy night first and third Tuesdays, trivia night second and fourth Tuesdays. Live music Wednesday nights. Roast with Yorkshire pudding, sides and dessert $14 Sundays.
- Get fresh pastas and other tastes of Italy at Limoncello Restaurant in Aventura
- 41st Street Deli makes gourmet kosher sandwiches in Miami Beach
- Fornaro cooks Italian food by way of Brazil in Coconut Grove
- Stone crabs with a side of sunset at Monty's in South Beach
- Moreno’s Café captures the spirit of Cuba in Miami Beach
- Ni.Do Caffe in Miami Shores celebrates eating the Italian way
- The hottest Thai food in Miami is on Calle Ocho
- Vegan cuisine is in Full Bloom in Miami Beach
- Jet Runway Café takes off in Fort Lauderdale
- Go all natural at Organic Bites in Miami