Eat here: Tarragon
The Middle Eastern market is spicing up the suburbs.
By Linda Bladholm
Hussein and Hassan Mehaydli, twin Lebanese owners of Tarragon Middle Eastern Market, make this spot an especially welcoming place to grab a falafel or stock up on fig jam, olive oil and fresh pita. Fresh hummus, baba ghanoush and stuffed grape leaves are laid out, along with triangular pocket pies, baklava and other delicacies. There are a few tables and take-out is available.
Depending on the season, you could find here green almonds, small sour plums, baby eggplant or fava beans in the pod, grown by Armenian-Lebanese farmers in Fresno, Calif. The well-connected brothers also supply bottled, preserved and pickled imports from Lebanon, Israel, Egypt, Jordan, North Africa, Turkey and Greece.
Some of the specialties to seek out are cri cri, roasted peanuts encased in a brittle semolina shell, pomegranate molasses (good in tangy vinaigrette dressings or drizzled over fried eggs and used to glaze roast chicken), dried and salted black jarjear olives, zaatar (wild thyme) sold dried and pickled and malban sweets -- chewy candy made from dried fruit, nuts, sesame seeds, coconut shreds and cornstarch. The dairy case holds labaneh (thick yogurt spread), various feta-like cheeses and yogurt drinks.
As I wandered the aisles, the taste of the green almond I nibbled when I arrived remained. As with many seasonal foods, blink and you miss the chance to taste it, but there's always another to try here.
Tarragon, 6623 S. Dixie Hwy., Pinecrest; 305-663-1121; 9 a.m.-7:30 p.m. Mon-Sat, 10 a.m.- 6 p.m. Sun; shawarma $5.99; pocket pies $1.75; meat-stuffed grape leaves $8.99; dips $6.99.
Eaten here? Leave a review!
- Channel the south of France at South Beach’s WD 555
- Tongue & Cheek celebrates Memorial Day with extended happy hour & special menu
- Score a free burger at Smashburger
- Monday is Family Night at Restaurant Michael Schwartz
- Join chef Dale Talde (Brooklyn's TALDE) at Khong River House May 30
- Bite into Taste of the Gables 2013 June 6
- Christy's launches a $25 Friday lunch
- Copperbox chef Gabriela Machado wows diners with Miami dinner-party ‘atelier nights’
- 3 stars for fantastic bites and super sips at Coral Gables' Bulla Gastrobar
- Sustainable seafood stars at Wild Sea on Las Olas