Eat here: Tarragon
The Middle Eastern market is spicing up the suburbs.
By Linda Bladholm
Hussein and Hassan Mehaydli, twin Lebanese owners of Tarragon Middle Eastern Market, make this spot an especially welcoming place to grab a falafel or stock up on fig jam, olive oil and fresh pita. Fresh hummus, baba ghanoush and stuffed grape leaves are laid out, along with triangular pocket pies, baklava and other delicacies. There are a few tables and take-out is available.
Depending on the season, you could find here green almonds, small sour plums, baby eggplant or fava beans in the pod, grown by Armenian-Lebanese farmers in Fresno, Calif. The well-connected brothers also supply bottled, preserved and pickled imports from Lebanon, Israel, Egypt, Jordan, North Africa, Turkey and Greece.
Some of the specialties to seek out are cri cri, roasted peanuts encased in a brittle semolina shell, pomegranate molasses (good in tangy vinaigrette dressings or drizzled over fried eggs and used to glaze roast chicken), dried and salted black jarjear olives, zaatar (wild thyme) sold dried and pickled and malban sweets -- chewy candy made from dried fruit, nuts, sesame seeds, coconut shreds and cornstarch. The dairy case holds labaneh (thick yogurt spread), various feta-like cheeses and yogurt drinks.
As I wandered the aisles, the taste of the green almond I nibbled when I arrived remained. As with many seasonal foods, blink and you miss the chance to taste it, but there's always another to try here.
Tarragon, 6623 S. Dixie Hwy., Pinecrest; 305-663-1121; 9 a.m.-7:30 p.m. Mon-Sat, 10 a.m.- 6 p.m. Sun; shawarma $5.99; pocket pies $1.75; meat-stuffed grape leaves $8.99; dips $6.99.
Eaten here? Leave a review!
- What's the Best? 5 Craft Beers to Taste at Grovetoberfest
- The List: Michael Mina's Miami restaurant picks
- South Miami's Buns & Buns is nuts about dough
- Cvi.Che 105 set to open in South Beach
- Ironside Pizza is slinging Neapolitan pies in Miami
- Burgerliscious IV returns to Coral Gables
- 2.5 stars for Loba's elevated home cooking in MiMo
- 50 Eggs guest chef dinner features Macchialina's Michael Pirolo
- Michael Mina's Stripsteak opening next month in Fontainebleau Miami Beach
- Harry's Pizzeria to open in Coconut Grove