Eat here: Nilus Delights
Get sugar high on life.
By Linda Bladholm
The menu at Niranjan and Lus Maria "Lucy" Perera's little bakery and café in Hollywood, Nilus Delights, includes sugar-free and low-carb pastries, cookies and cakes for those with special needs (Lucy is diabetic, so she understands). The couple, who met when Lucy visited a North Miami Beach pizza shop where Niranjan was working, opened Nilus Delights two years ago, with Lucy working the front and Niranjan baking. There are two tables inside, where customers can admire models of the novelty cakes Niranjan bakes to order in the shape of boats, sharks, sea shell fantasies, dolls, mermaids and much more.
Much of the business is takeout, but customers linger to chat with the friendly owners. The bakery serves breakfast with cinnamon-spiked chai tea and coffee and sandwiches on fresh-baked baguettes along with a plethora of baked goods, from fresh fruit tarts to jumbo muffins.Folks start arriving early for coffee and chocolate or almond croissants or an omelet with toast. At lunch they come for sandwiches including Cuban, roast beef and Philly cheese steak.
It's the rare customer who leaves without a cookie or an individual tart -- apricot and marzipan, pear and almond, apple crumb, caramel and almond, Key lime and fresh fruit and custard, all with sweet cookie-dough crusts. The cookie decisions are just as difficult -- coconut macaroons dipped in chocolate, Mexican wedding cookies dusted in powdered sugar, butter cookies dipped in chocolate, Dutch boys (like little ginger men but made from vanilla or chocolate dough), star and moon sandwich cookies, rum balls, raspberry pockets and big peanut butter, chocolate chip and oatmeal cookies.
Everything is homemade with heart, and daily leftovers are donated to a church or given to the homeless.
Nilus Delights Bakery, 1854 N. Young Circle, Hollywood; 954-927-6005; 7 a.m.-10 p.m. Mon-Thurs, 7 a.m.-11 p.m. Fri and Sat, 8 a.m.-8 p.m. Sun; sandwiches $6.99, cake slices and tarts $2.75, muffins $1.75, four cookies for $1.35
Eaten here? Leave a review!
- The Miami Spice List: 10 Best Off-the-Beaten-Path Restaurants
- What's the Best? 5 Miami Coffee Shops
- Truffles and caviar on menu at Haven craft beer dinner in Miami Beach
- Brew in Miami: Buckets of craft beer at Pubbelly in Miami Beach
- Two stars for Tap 79's affordable and comforting pub fare
- Interactive brunch benefits United Way of Miami-Dade
- Beer here: Boulevard Brewing expands distribution to Florida
- Scott Conant of Scarpetta to open restaurant in Turnberry Isle in Aventura
- Zuma partners to open Tamarina restaurant in Miami
- Temple Kitchen, a shrine to plant-based foods, opens in South Miami