Eat here: Nilus Delights
Get sugar high on life.
By Linda Bladholm
The menu at Niranjan and Lus Maria "Lucy" Perera's little bakery and café in Hollywood, Nilus Delights, includes sugar-free and low-carb pastries, cookies and cakes for those with special needs (Lucy is diabetic, so she understands). The couple, who met when Lucy visited a North Miami Beach pizza shop where Niranjan was working, opened Nilus Delights two years ago, with Lucy working the front and Niranjan baking. There are two tables inside, where customers can admire models of the novelty cakes Niranjan bakes to order in the shape of boats, sharks, sea shell fantasies, dolls, mermaids and much more.
Much of the business is takeout, but customers linger to chat with the friendly owners. The bakery serves breakfast with cinnamon-spiked chai tea and coffee and sandwiches on fresh-baked baguettes along with a plethora of baked goods, from fresh fruit tarts to jumbo muffins.Folks start arriving early for coffee and chocolate or almond croissants or an omelet with toast. At lunch they come for sandwiches including Cuban, roast beef and Philly cheese steak.
It's the rare customer who leaves without a cookie or an individual tart -- apricot and marzipan, pear and almond, apple crumb, caramel and almond, Key lime and fresh fruit and custard, all with sweet cookie-dough crusts. The cookie decisions are just as difficult -- coconut macaroons dipped in chocolate, Mexican wedding cookies dusted in powdered sugar, butter cookies dipped in chocolate, Dutch boys (like little ginger men but made from vanilla or chocolate dough), star and moon sandwich cookies, rum balls, raspberry pockets and big peanut butter, chocolate chip and oatmeal cookies.
Everything is homemade with heart, and daily leftovers are donated to a church or given to the homeless.
Nilus Delights Bakery, 1854 N. Young Circle, Hollywood; 954-927-6005; 7 a.m.-10 p.m. Mon-Thurs, 7 a.m.-11 p.m. Fri and Sat, 8 a.m.-8 p.m. Sun; sandwiches $6.99, cake slices and tarts $2.75, muffins $1.75, four cookies for $1.35
Eaten here? Leave a review!
- 10th annual Deering Seafood Festival slated for March 30
- 660 at the Angler's updates weekend brunch
- I Know the Chef app delivers restaurant reservations, preferred seating & perks beginning March 13
- Toscana Divino launches $23 three-course lunch in Brickell
- Chicago's Bar Toma debuts a pop-up brunch at Lorenzo on South Beach
- New restaurants coming to South Beach, Brickell
- St. Patrick's Day 2014: Where to toast the luck of the Irish this weekend
- Cecconi’s Miami Beach debuts a “4 to 7” happy hour Tuesday-Saturday
- Grille 401 debuts sushi & sake bar on Las Olas
- Eating House chef Giorgio Rapicavoli opens new tapas restaurant in MiMo