Eat here: Nilus Delights
Get sugar high on life.
By Linda Bladholm
The menu at Niranjan and Lus Maria "Lucy" Perera's little bakery and café in Hollywood, Nilus Delights, includes sugar-free and low-carb pastries, cookies and cakes for those with special needs (Lucy is diabetic, so she understands). The couple, who met when Lucy visited a North Miami Beach pizza shop where Niranjan was working, opened Nilus Delights two years ago, with Lucy working the front and Niranjan baking. There are two tables inside, where customers can admire models of the novelty cakes Niranjan bakes to order in the shape of boats, sharks, sea shell fantasies, dolls, mermaids and much more.
Much of the business is takeout, but customers linger to chat with the friendly owners. The bakery serves breakfast with cinnamon-spiked chai tea and coffee and sandwiches on fresh-baked baguettes along with a plethora of baked goods, from fresh fruit tarts to jumbo muffins.Folks start arriving early for coffee and chocolate or almond croissants or an omelet with toast. At lunch they come for sandwiches including Cuban, roast beef and Philly cheese steak.
It's the rare customer who leaves without a cookie or an individual tart -- apricot and marzipan, pear and almond, apple crumb, caramel and almond, Key lime and fresh fruit and custard, all with sweet cookie-dough crusts. The cookie decisions are just as difficult -- coconut macaroons dipped in chocolate, Mexican wedding cookies dusted in powdered sugar, butter cookies dipped in chocolate, Dutch boys (like little ginger men but made from vanilla or chocolate dough), star and moon sandwich cookies, rum balls, raspberry pockets and big peanut butter, chocolate chip and oatmeal cookies.
Everything is homemade with heart, and daily leftovers are donated to a church or given to the homeless.
Nilus Delights Bakery, 1854 N. Young Circle, Hollywood; 954-927-6005; 7 a.m.-10 p.m. Mon-Thurs, 7 a.m.-11 p.m. Fri and Sat, 8 a.m.-8 p.m. Sun; sandwiches $6.99, cake slices and tarts $2.75, muffins $1.75, four cookies for $1.35
Eaten here? Leave a review!
- Turkish delights fill the menu at Lokum in Miami Beach
- Craft Beer of the Week: Victory Helles Lager
- Spanish team goes for high-end Mediterranean food at Klima in Miami Beach
- The List: Top bites in Miami with Finka's Eileen Andrade
- Cay Café’s changing menu presents a stylish lunch option at DCOTA
- Chef Danny Grant and John Kunkel's 50 Eggs part ways
- Guess where we're eating, win tickets to see Robert Irvine Live
- Visa-O1 tosses extraordinary pizzas in South Beach
- New Spanish restaurant Piripi to open March 30 in Coral Gables
- Taste of Tennis to pair pro players and Miami chefs