Eat here: Jimmie's Chocolates and Café
Life may not be like a box of chocolates these days, but we prefer our chocolate for eating, not simile, anyway.
By Linda Bladholm
Jimmie's Chocolates and Café in Dania Beach was founded in 1947 by Jimmie Vonglis and purchased 50 years later by Rodney Harrison and Ken Smith, who had been candy-loving customers as boys. The chocolate is made on site and in a small factory down the street. The fillings are house-made, and each candy is hand-dipped. The base is Vonglis' recipe, blending three types of premium chocolate.
Inside the shop, glass cases are filled with flavored fudges (try black Russian or maple walnut), caramellows, pecan and cashew turtles, tropical whips (chocolate-dipped, coconut-covered caramel and marshmallow), rum balls, double-dipped pretzels and champagne truffles. Other truffles include Kahlua, mint, hazelnut and Grand Marnier. There are also milk chocolate peanut butter cups, and dark chocolate cranberry and walnut patties.
Jimmie's Chocolates & Café, 148 Federal Hwy., Dania Beach; 954-922-0441, café 954-921-0688. 11 a.m.-6 p.m. daily; café serves lunch and dinner Wed-Sat.
FYI: There's a Jimmie's chocolate salon in Pompano Beach (954-784-5656) and Wilton Manors (954-922-0441).
Eaten here? Leave a review!
- The List: Miami's best bites with Sugarcane's Timon Balloo
- Joël Robuchon to open three restaurants in Miami's Design District
- The Gang in midtown Miami goes long on flair, falls short on fare
- New-look STK in Miami Beach is off to a sexy, meaty start
- The List: Finding Miami's best food with Quality Meats' Craig Koketsu
- Find a taste of Portugal at Lisboa Grill in Key Biscayne
- Miami's Momi doubles down with downtown dumpling den
- Restaurant-season slowdown hits Miami
- Crust Pizza evolves into Crust Restaurant, opening this month in Miami
- Munch, munch, pass: 4/20 dinner sparks up at Eating House in Coral Gables