Eat here: Jimmie's Chocolates and Café
Life may not be like a box of chocolates these days, but we prefer our chocolate for eating, not simile, anyway.
By Linda Bladholm
Jimmie's Chocolates and Café in Dania Beach was founded in 1947 by Jimmie Vonglis and purchased 50 years later by Rodney Harrison and Ken Smith, who had been candy-loving customers as boys. The chocolate is made on site and in a small factory down the street. The fillings are house-made, and each candy is hand-dipped. The base is Vonglis' recipe, blending three types of premium chocolate.
Inside the shop, glass cases are filled with flavored fudges (try black Russian or maple walnut), caramellows, pecan and cashew turtles, tropical whips (chocolate-dipped, coconut-covered caramel and marshmallow), rum balls, double-dipped pretzels and champagne truffles. Other truffles include Kahlua, mint, hazelnut and Grand Marnier. There are also milk chocolate peanut butter cups, and dark chocolate cranberry and walnut patties.
Jimmie's Chocolates & Café, 148 Federal Hwy., Dania Beach; 954-922-0441, café 954-921-0688. 11 a.m.-6 p.m. daily; café serves lunch and dinner Wed-Sat.
FYI: There's a Jimmie's chocolate salon in Pompano Beach (954-784-5656) and Wilton Manors (954-922-0441).
Eaten here? Leave a review!
- Where to eat in Miami's Historic MiMo District on Biscayne Boulevard
- Why this iconic South Beach Italian spot changed locations
- President Hello Kitty? She's got cookies to convince you
- South Beach Seafood Festival 2016 highlights top seafood chefs, restaurants
- Get yours: stone crab season starts Saturday
- Is this the best black-owned food truck in South Florida?
- South Florida just got another serious steakhouse
- Food just got a lot better at Heat's American Airlines Arena
- Phuc Yea pops up for good
- Luke's Diner will be a real place Wednesday. Here's where to get free coffee: