Eat here: Jimmie's Chocolates and Café
Life may not be like a box of chocolates these days, but we prefer our chocolate for eating, not simile, anyway.
By Linda Bladholm
Jimmie's Chocolates and Café in Dania Beach was founded in 1947 by Jimmie Vonglis and purchased 50 years later by Rodney Harrison and Ken Smith, who had been candy-loving customers as boys. The chocolate is made on site and in a small factory down the street. The fillings are house-made, and each candy is hand-dipped. The base is Vonglis' recipe, blending three types of premium chocolate.
Inside the shop, glass cases are filled with flavored fudges (try black Russian or maple walnut), caramellows, pecan and cashew turtles, tropical whips (chocolate-dipped, coconut-covered caramel and marshmallow), rum balls, double-dipped pretzels and champagne truffles. Other truffles include Kahlua, mint, hazelnut and Grand Marnier. There are also milk chocolate peanut butter cups, and dark chocolate cranberry and walnut patties.
Jimmie's Chocolates & Café, 148 Federal Hwy., Dania Beach; 954-922-0441, café 954-921-0688. 11 a.m.-6 p.m. daily; café serves lunch and dinner Wed-Sat.
FYI: There's a Jimmie's chocolate salon in Pompano Beach (954-784-5656) and Wilton Manors (954-922-0441).
Eaten here? Leave a review!
- What chefs, authors the Miami Book Fair has for food lovers
- 11 Best Places In Miami For Classic Desserts
- This renovated firehouse with two names has become a Brickell staple
- 5 fun foodie activities to do with kids in Miami
- Wynwood businesses reopen after Zika scare
- Catch some Poke, man: Polynesian flavors at rooftop Watr
- 3 Olympic-worthy Wywnood beer events this week
- Michy fans: Fried chicken is back
- Pasta is handmade to order at this South Beach spot
- Miami's top 5 rooftop bars on Yelp