Eat here: Jimmie's Chocolates and Café
Life may not be like a box of chocolates these days, but we prefer our chocolate for eating, not simile, anyway.
By Linda Bladholm
Jimmie's Chocolates and Café in Dania Beach was founded in 1947 by Jimmie Vonglis and purchased 50 years later by Rodney Harrison and Ken Smith, who had been candy-loving customers as boys. The chocolate is made on site and in a small factory down the street. The fillings are house-made, and each candy is hand-dipped. The base is Vonglis' recipe, blending three types of premium chocolate.
Inside the shop, glass cases are filled with flavored fudges (try black Russian or maple walnut), caramellows, pecan and cashew turtles, tropical whips (chocolate-dipped, coconut-covered caramel and marshmallow), rum balls, double-dipped pretzels and champagne truffles. Other truffles include Kahlua, mint, hazelnut and Grand Marnier. There are also milk chocolate peanut butter cups, and dark chocolate cranberry and walnut patties.
Jimmie's Chocolates & Café, 148 Federal Hwy., Dania Beach; 954-922-0441, café 954-921-0688. 11 a.m.-6 p.m. daily; café serves lunch and dinner Wed-Sat.
FYI: There's a Jimmie's chocolate salon in Pompano Beach (954-784-5656) and Wilton Manors (954-922-0441).
Eaten here? Leave a review!
- Toronto import Cibo goes for Italian gold in South Beach
- (Golf) Beer of the Week: G-Mac's Celtic-Style Pale Ale
- KLIMA Restaurant and Bar opens in South Beach
- Two ethnic eateries close in South Beach
- French-style Brasserie Azur moving in to midtown Miami
- Get a free iced coffee at South Florida Dunkin' Donuts on March 9
- Have Brunch in the Garden with Les Dames and top chefs
- Michael Schwartz to open new Miami Design District café: Ella
- Craft Beer of the Week: Samuel Adams Crystal Pale Ale
- Telva Bakery, Viva Mexico offer sweet cakes and savory tacos in Miami