Eat here: Jimmie's Chocolates and Café
Life may not be like a box of chocolates these days, but we prefer our chocolate for eating, not simile, anyway.
By Linda Bladholm
Jimmie's Chocolates and Café in Dania Beach was founded in 1947 by Jimmie Vonglis and purchased 50 years later by Rodney Harrison and Ken Smith, who had been candy-loving customers as boys. The chocolate is made on site and in a small factory down the street. The fillings are house-made, and each candy is hand-dipped. The base is Vonglis' recipe, blending three types of premium chocolate.
Inside the shop, glass cases are filled with flavored fudges (try black Russian or maple walnut), caramellows, pecan and cashew turtles, tropical whips (chocolate-dipped, coconut-covered caramel and marshmallow), rum balls, double-dipped pretzels and champagne truffles. Other truffles include Kahlua, mint, hazelnut and Grand Marnier. There are also milk chocolate peanut butter cups, and dark chocolate cranberry and walnut patties.
Jimmie's Chocolates & Café, 148 Federal Hwy., Dania Beach; 954-922-0441, café 954-921-0688. 11 a.m.-6 p.m. daily; café serves lunch and dinner Wed-Sat.
FYI: There's a Jimmie's chocolate salon in Pompano Beach (954-784-5656) and Wilton Manors (954-922-0441).
Eaten here? Leave a review!
- South Beach sushi pop-up Prey puts invasive species on the menu at 1 Hotel & Homes
- The List: 10 best Miami foods with Batch Gastropub's Kevin Danilo
- Miami restaurant review: Upper East Side gets a Pinch of creative cooking
- 2 new Coral Gables restaurants opening this week: Trust & Co. and Ichimi
- Worth the drive: Clay Conley opens Grato restaurant in West Palm Beach
- Beaker & Gray is a new date spot in Wynwood
- A Top Chef's 10 favorite foods in Miami
- Former Zuma chef, manager to open KYU restaurant in Wynwood
- Kris Wessel to open barbecue joint in Miami's Little Haiti
- Brickell's Komodo is a Pan-Asian Palace