Eat here: Jimmie's Chocolates and Café
Life may not be like a box of chocolates these days, but we prefer our chocolate for eating, not simile, anyway.
By Linda Bladholm
Jimmie's Chocolates and Café in Dania Beach was founded in 1947 by Jimmie Vonglis and purchased 50 years later by Rodney Harrison and Ken Smith, who had been candy-loving customers as boys. The chocolate is made on site and in a small factory down the street. The fillings are house-made, and each candy is hand-dipped. The base is Vonglis' recipe, blending three types of premium chocolate.
Inside the shop, glass cases are filled with flavored fudges (try black Russian or maple walnut), caramellows, pecan and cashew turtles, tropical whips (chocolate-dipped, coconut-covered caramel and marshmallow), rum balls, double-dipped pretzels and champagne truffles. Other truffles include Kahlua, mint, hazelnut and Grand Marnier. There are also milk chocolate peanut butter cups, and dark chocolate cranberry and walnut patties.
Jimmie's Chocolates & Café, 148 Federal Hwy., Dania Beach; 954-922-0441, café 954-921-0688. 11 a.m.-6 p.m. daily; café serves lunch and dinner Wed-Sat.
FYI: There's a Jimmie's chocolate salon in Pompano Beach (954-784-5656) and Wilton Manors (954-922-0441).
Eaten here? Leave a review!
- St. Louis-based Pi Pizzeria opening this year in South Beach
- New chef, new look for Azul at the Mandarin Oriental Miami
- What's the Best? 5 Great Carpaccios
- Cheen-Huaye Mexican restaurant expands menu, dining room in North Miami
- New-look AltaMare toasts summer with a new happy hour
- New kitchen leadership at Bocce Bar
- 3.5 stars for The Forge's next generation of excellence in Miami Beach
- Brew in Miami: Belgian beer stars at Bistro BE
- Inside North Beach's Hilton Cabana & L'Echon Brasserie
- Jumbo's closes after 59-year run in Miami's Liberty City