Eat here: Don Camaron
Who wouldn't want to eat seafood from a place with a cute, chef-hatted shrimp on the sign?
By Linda Bladholm
You can't miss the sign for Don Camaron just across from the Flagler Dog Track's parking lot flea market: a cute giant camaron (shrimp) in a chef's toque, lounging with a slice of lime.
In the market, beds of ice hold red snapper, grouper, swordfish, mahi mahi, marlin, spiny lobsters, crabs and pink Gulf shrimp. At an express counter you can get entrees, sides, soups, salads, fish sandwiches and desserts to go.
Popular with Cameron's Peruvian clientele is the mixed seafood ceviche (shrimp, squid rings, octopus, fish) and jalea mixta, an appetizer that brings a heap of deep-fried seafood topped with red onions and lemon wedges. Fried rice, a Chino-Cuban, favorite, is tossed with shrimp, clams, squid, eggs, bean sprouts, ginger and scallions.
Splurge on a whole steamed lobster or go with surf and turf (skirt steak and lobster tail). Entrees come with white or yellow rice and sweet plantains or fries. Sides include mashed potatoes, black beans, and tostones. made from fat Hawaiian plantains.
All desserts are house-made, including coconut flan, tres leches with chocolate and Bahama Mama (pineapple-coconut rum sponge cake).
Don Camaron Seafood Grill & Market, 501 NW 37th Ave., Miami; 305-642-6767. 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Sun-Thurs, 11 a.m.-11 p.m. Fri, Sat. Appetizers $2.75-$7.95, seafood and meats $9.95-$15.95 (lobster market price), daily specials $5.95-$7.95
FYI: Catering available.
Eaten here? Leave a review!
- Bazi takes South Beach eaters on an Asian culinary tour
- The List: Miami's best foods with chef Bernie Matz
- Miami chef Cindy Hutson to be honored Oct. 10
- Tracking Miami taco joints, from South Beach to Wynwood
- New TiramesU restaurant opening Oct. 6 in South Beach
- Chef Jeremiah's Pork Is Good festival returns to Wynwood in November
- Chefs leave top kitchen posts at Miami Beach restaurants Seagrape, Michael Mina 74
- SeaWatch restaurant gets a face-lift in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea
- The List: Miami's 10 best foods, according to Stripsteak's Derrick Roberts
- Beer of the Week: Harpoon Take 5 Session IPA