Eat here: Don Camaron
Who wouldn't want to eat seafood from a place with a cute, chef-hatted shrimp on the sign?
By Linda Bladholm
You can't miss the sign for Don Camaron just across from the Flagler Dog Track's parking lot flea market: a cute giant camaron (shrimp) in a chef's toque, lounging with a slice of lime.
In the market, beds of ice hold red snapper, grouper, swordfish, mahi mahi, marlin, spiny lobsters, crabs and pink Gulf shrimp. At an express counter you can get entrees, sides, soups, salads, fish sandwiches and desserts to go.
Popular with Cameron's Peruvian clientele is the mixed seafood ceviche (shrimp, squid rings, octopus, fish) and jalea mixta, an appetizer that brings a heap of deep-fried seafood topped with red onions and lemon wedges. Fried rice, a Chino-Cuban, favorite, is tossed with shrimp, clams, squid, eggs, bean sprouts, ginger and scallions.
Splurge on a whole steamed lobster or go with surf and turf (skirt steak and lobster tail). Entrees come with white or yellow rice and sweet plantains or fries. Sides include mashed potatoes, black beans, and tostones. made from fat Hawaiian plantains.
All desserts are house-made, including coconut flan, tres leches with chocolate and Bahama Mama (pineapple-coconut rum sponge cake).
Don Camaron Seafood Grill & Market, 501 NW 37th Ave., Miami; 305-642-6767. 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Sun-Thurs, 11 a.m.-11 p.m. Fri, Sat. Appetizers $2.75-$7.95, seafood and meats $9.95-$15.95 (lobster market price), daily specials $5.95-$7.95
FYI: Catering available.
Eaten here? Leave a review!
- What chefs, authors the Miami Book Fair has for food lovers
- 11 Best Places In Miami For Classic Desserts
- This renovated firehouse with two names has become a Brickell staple
- 5 fun foodie activities to do with kids in Miami
- Wynwood businesses reopen after Zika scare
- Catch some Poke, man: Polynesian flavors at rooftop Watr
- 3 Olympic-worthy Wywnood beer events this week
- Michy fans: Fried chicken is back
- Pasta is handmade to order at this South Beach spot
- Miami's top 5 rooftop bars on Yelp