Eat here: Don Camaron
Who wouldn't want to eat seafood from a place with a cute, chef-hatted shrimp on the sign?
By Linda Bladholm
You can't miss the sign for Don Camaron just across from the Flagler Dog Track's parking lot flea market: a cute giant camaron (shrimp) in a chef's toque, lounging with a slice of lime.
In the market, beds of ice hold red snapper, grouper, swordfish, mahi mahi, marlin, spiny lobsters, crabs and pink Gulf shrimp. At an express counter you can get entrees, sides, soups, salads, fish sandwiches and desserts to go.
Popular with Cameron's Peruvian clientele is the mixed seafood ceviche (shrimp, squid rings, octopus, fish) and jalea mixta, an appetizer that brings a heap of deep-fried seafood topped with red onions and lemon wedges. Fried rice, a Chino-Cuban, favorite, is tossed with shrimp, clams, squid, eggs, bean sprouts, ginger and scallions.
Splurge on a whole steamed lobster or go with surf and turf (skirt steak and lobster tail). Entrees come with white or yellow rice and sweet plantains or fries. Sides include mashed potatoes, black beans, and tostones. made from fat Hawaiian plantains.
All desserts are house-made, including coconut flan, tres leches with chocolate and Bahama Mama (pineapple-coconut rum sponge cake).
Don Camaron Seafood Grill & Market, 501 NW 37th Ave., Miami; 305-642-6767. 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Sun-Thurs, 11 a.m.-11 p.m. Fri, Sat. Appetizers $2.75-$7.95, seafood and meats $9.95-$15.95 (lobster market price), daily specials $5.95-$7.95
FYI: Catering available.
Eaten here? Leave a review!
- 7 Best Miami Spice Menus for Vegetarian Diners
- Pokémon Go lures diners to SuViche South Beach
- FREE LASAGNA. We Repeat, Free Lasagna!
- This Miami Beach bar was just named America's best new bar
- A look inside new 'hip Peruvian' restaurant in Doral
- A Miami Spice Weekly Planner
- Not even a dead body got people out of line for cronuts in New York
- Look like a celebrity and get free food
- Where to find artisanal chocolate in South Florida
- 7 Great Choices for Families during Miami Spice