Eat here: Arline's
Get a taste of the Caribbean without having to put up with hundreds of fat mid-westerners on a big boat.
By Linda Bladholm
The unpretentious food at this family-owned Arline's Restaurant and Seafood in Miami Gardens is built on a foundation of fresh seafood with plentiful starchy sides.
Boil fish, anchored by planks of grouper in a light broth sparked with lime, is available Saturday mornings and served with cornbread and grits. Other breakfast dishes include waffles and fried chicken wings, smothered pork chops and country ham with grits. Conch is a must for lunch or an early dinner, served cracked (fried) or dressed (scored bits in a tart vinegar and citrus bath). One of the most popular items is the seafood combo platter of fried shrimp, conch, fish and fries with lemonade or iced tea.
Dinner means a meal no matter what time it's eaten. Fish dinners are fried or steamed king fish, snapper, catfish or tilapia. Others star a slab of meatloaf in gravy, barbecue chicken in tangy sauce, grilled and smothered steak, turkey wings and dressing (Thursdays) and barbecue ribs (Fridays) -- all with two sides and cornbread.
Pigeon peas and rice, potato salad, mac and cheese, stewed okra and tomatoes and candied yams are almost always available. On Friday and Saturday, collard greens cooked down in pot liquor with smoked pig parts draw regulars who "sip sip" (patois for gossip) as they wait for the food. Other customers come just for the red velvet cake, peach cobbler and sweet potato pie. No one leaves hungry!
Arline's Restaurant & Seafood, 2770 NW 167th St. (Dade Corner Shopping Plaza), Miami Gardens; 305-474-8990. 7 a.m.-7 p.m. Tues-Thurs, 7 a.m.-8 p.m. Fri-Sat. Breakfast $3.99-$8.49, seafood dishes $6.75-$26, dinners $6.49-$11.99
FYI: Boil fish (Saturday only) usually sells out by noon.
Eaten here? Leave a review!
- Inside North Beach's Hilton Cabana & L'Echon Brasserie
- Ho Wang closes in Surfside; kosher BBQ joint to take its place
- The List: Eating around Miami with Tongue & Cheek's Jamie DeRosa
- Porfirio's Restaurant puts upscale Mexican food in South Beach
- Big shucking scallops at Oceanaire in Miami this weekend
- Treat yourself to Sushi Samba & a movie July 22
- Mignonette oyster bar in Miami's Edgwater slated for Aug. 1 opening and we have the menu!
- Big Pink gets bigger: Miami Beach-themed burgers added to menu
- Cantina la Veinte debuts at Icon Brickell July 28
- North Miami's Great Harvest meets customers' kneads