SoBe Wine & Food Fest: doing it on a budget
Didn't have $300 to spare for the Bubble Q? Here's what to check out at the SoBe Wine & Food Fest that won't leave your wallet starving.
By Jaweed Kaleem
So you can't exactly afford Emeril Lagasse's $125-per-head Sugar Shack party at the Raleigh (10 p.m. Friday, 1775 Collins Ave.) or the $200, 3 1/2-hour Wine Spectator seminars at the Convention Center (10 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, 1901 Convention Center Dr.). Don't worry, there are plenty of (relatively) cheap events to check out.
A newcomer to the festival lineup this year, Fun and Fit as a Family on Jungle Island, is aimed at curbing childhood obesity and promoting healthy eating among kids. Rachael Ray, Jamie Oliver and Tyler Florence will prepare meals from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at 1111 Parrot Jungle Trail, Miami. It's $28 per day, $23 for kids 10 and under.
For $35, see a variety of cooking demonstrations for kids (and kids at heart) at the Kellogg's Kidz Kitchen in Lummus Park at Ocean Drive and 13th Street. Sold out: Saturday demonstrations by the Food Network's Giadda de Laurentiis and Lagasse and a Sunday show by Jamie Oliver and Rachael Ray. Tickets were available at press time to see Tyler Florence make simple recipes for kids (3:30 to 5 p.m. Sunday); Dylan Lauren, daughter of Ralph Lauren and owner of Dylan's Candy Bar in New York, make desserts (1 to 3 p.m. Sunday), and Guy Fieri, winner of The Next Food Network Star, do his thing (3:30 to 5:30 p.m. Sunday).
Grown-ups can sample drinks and learn how to make them at one of several hour-long seminars at Hall A of the Miami Beach Convention Center. All are $45 except Bourbon Mixology, which is $50:
- Bourbon Mixology: 10 a.m.
- Gekkeikan Sake Seminar: 11:15 a.m.
- Cocktails 101: 1 p.m.
- Finding the Delicate Harmony of Sweet and Sour in Cocktails: 3 p.m.
- History of Patrón: 11 a.m.
- Forgotten Greats from the Golden Age of the Cocktail: 1 p.m.
- Getting to Grips with Grappa: 1 p.m.
- Understanding the Anatomy of the Cocktail: 3 p.m.
- STK Miami opening delayed after sprinkler accident causes extensive damage
- Freshii: Fast food that's healthy and tastes good
- Cibo Wine Bar expands to South Beach
- New looks for local South Florida craft beers
- Top 10 most popular Miami food/drink places on Instagram in 2014
- The List: The Dutch's Conor Hanlon
- Say 'Opa!' to new Cleo restaurant in the Redbury Hotel in Miami Beach
- Stephen Starr to open second restaurant in Bal Harbour
- Philly diner Green Eggs Cafe opens in Aventura
- New restaurants add to Doral's food options