Dwyane Wade teams up with top author James Patterson
To encourage kids to read
Interesting partnership: Bestselling author James Patterson will team up with Dwyane Wade.
On March 21, Patterson and Wade will sit down at Ponce De Leon Middle School in Coral Gables, for a conversation about reading moderated by Miami Heat courtside reporter Jason Jackson. Kids across the country will be able to submit questions to their favorite author and their favorite NBA superstar in advance via social media for the chance to hear directly from the two men. They'll also be together for a webcast for kids called ONE ON ONE: Fundamentals with Dwyane Wade and James Patterson next month. In collaboration with NBA Cares, the Wade’s World Foundation, ReadKiddoRead and Hachette Book Group, ONE ON ONE will highlight the importance of reading for success in life and will air at 1 p.m. April 25. The webcast will be available free of charge to schools, libraries, and for home viewing via www.JamesPattersonEvents.com, where viewers can sign up in advance.
“As a new author, I am very excited to join forces with acclaimed author James Patterson to advocate the importance of literacy throughout the country,” said Wade, author of the New York Times bestseller A Father First: How My Life Became Bigger than Basketball.
Patterson added, “Getting our kids reading is a matter of life and death; this is not about grades or what college these kids might be going to. This is about saving kids’ lives, and if we don’t get our kids reading now, many of them aren’t going to make it. We have to get that light to go off in their heads at an early age." On March 27, Wade returns to his hometown of Chicago to play against the Bulls. For every point he scores Hachette Book Group will donate 1,000 copies of Patterson books to the Miami-Dade school system.
On Our Radar
- Would you buy a cellphone from Jennifer Lopez?
- Barbara Walters' daughter arrested in Naples
- Two locals will appear on ABC's The Bachelorette
- Bryan 'Birdman' launches vodka at Mokai
- Rob Delaney teams up with local company for game
- Chad "Ochocinco" Johnson arrested in Broward
- Gorilla Perfumes making a stop at LUSH on Lincoln Road
- Food Network chefs sign on to Alex’s Lemonade Stand
- Rewind Recap: Accordion Invasion hits South Beach
- Glades star Jordan Wall to appear at fundraiser