Tasty, family-friendly sports bar fare in Plantation.
By Rochelle Koff
When you're watching the game (make that games) at the new Duffy's Sports Grill in Plantation, you can count on the essentials: TV (there are 75), cheap drinks (happy hour lasts for hours) and killer wings, along with better-than-average bar grub. While other restaurants and bars are packing up, Duffy's has been expanding a 24-year-old Florida chain that stretches from Melbourne to its 20th site at The Fountains shopping center (its other Broward link is in Deerfield Beach). Now owners Paul Emmett and Carlos Morrison can claim another victory: On Wednesday, Duffy's was named the official sports grill of the Miami Dolphins, which means you can expect lots of hoopla come football season.
Whatever your sport, Duffy's is an upgrade of the quintessential sports bar. Sure it gets rowdy on prime sport nights, but overall it's fun and comfortable even for families toting kids and grandparents. Staff is young but on the ball ... well-trained, efficient and earnest. Decor is cheerful and certainly sporty: kelly green walls are plastered with framed jerseys, photos and memorabilia.
- Juicy, meaty & flavorful wings
- Crisp toasted margherita flatbread laden with slow-roasted tomatoes, silky mozzarella and fresh basil.
- Crunchy, fried Tex-Mex chicken egg rolls stuffed with roasted corn and red peppers, well-seasoned chicken and Monterey Jack and Cheddar cheeses
- Rich, but not gloppy spinach and artichoke dip with melted cheese
- Straightforward, satisfying and nicely burnished grilled center-cut, boneless pork chops
- Tasty shrimp scampi topped with a touch of cream and tossed with angel hair pasta
- A delicious half-pound Angus burger
- A grilled dolphin sandwich enhanced with a bit of tarragon, salt and pepper
- A warm brownie sundae with huge scoops of ice cream and whipped cream
What Didn’t Work
- A bland yellowfin tuna burger
Duffy’s Sports Grill at Fountains Shoppes: 811 S University Dr, Plantation; 954-473-0477; Hours: 11am-1am Sunday-Thursday, 11am-2 a.m. Friday-Saturday. Prices: Starters $3.99-12.99, wings $7.99-$19.99, entrees $10.99-$16.99, burgers and sandwiches $7.99-$8.99, desserts (for two) $5.99.
FYI: Free MVP card with incentives and discounts. Full bar; no corkage fee; two-for-one drinks (including wine, beer) 4-7 p.m. and 9 p.m.-closing daily. Free parking lot. AX, DS, MC, VS.
- Cheen-Huaye Mexican restaurant expands menu, dining room in North Miami
- New-look AltaMare toasts summer with a new happy hour
- New kitchen leadership at Bocce Bar
- 3.5 stars for The Forge's next generation of excellence in Miami Beach
- Brew in Miami: Belgian beer stars at Bistro BE
- Inside North Beach's Hilton Cabana & L'Echon Brasserie
- Jumbo's closes after 59-year run in Miami's Liberty City
- Ho Wang closes in Surfside; kosher BBQ joint to take its place
- The List: Eating around Miami with Tongue & Cheek's Jamie DeRosa
- Porfirio's Restaurant puts upscale Mexican food in South Beach