Drinks and music in Miami, some for a noble cause
W Hotels in South Beach, Fort Lauderdale host weekend events
Do the White Thing
After 32-year-old Jorge Brouwer, University of Florida devotee and founder of student travel company Xtreme Trips, passed away unexpectedly of a pulmonary embolism, his family created a charity in his memory that strives to send sick children and their families on all expense paid dream trips. The Jorge Nation Foundation will throw its Second Annual White Party fundraiser at 8 p.m. Saturday, May 18 at the W South Beach. The event will feature open bar, hors d'oeuvres, charity auction, performers and more. Last year, the Jorge Nation Foundation’s First Annual White Party raised over than $90,000, enabling JNF to send four children on Dream Trips and host a Group Dream Trip to the Miami Seaquarium with more than 80 kids and families spending a day at the theme park. Tickets cost $135 before May 4 and $150 after. For more information on the event and sponsorship opportunities, visit www.jorgenation.org.
Because it’s not a true day unless it’s a day paying unofficial homage to some food or drink in order to justify its indulgence, get ready for World Whiskey Day on Saturday, May 18. In celebration, Gerber Group's aptly named Whiskey Blue at the W Fort Lauderdale, 401 N. Fort Lauderdale Beach Blvd., will host whiskey expert Jeffrey Karlovitch from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. during which time he will conduct a tasting of carefully selected flights of the spirit of the day. There is no cover.
Proving that not all spas have to play music that makes you want to knead your eyeballs out, The Standard, 40 Island Avenue, has a live music series, Standard Sounds—which are anything but—taking place from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. Sunday, May 19. Headlining this time is Gold Dust Lounge, a musical fusion of sorts led by guitarist/songwriter Russell Mofsky, whose critically acclaimed band Quit performed with the likes of Marilyn Manson, Green Day, Social Distortion, Butthole Surfers and more. Mofsky has also studied jazz guitar at the New England Conservatory of Music and started Gold Dust Lounge “as a way to explore and integrate a broad range of musical influences.” Ohm, rock on Gold Dust Lounge!
The Shops at Midtown isn’t just a place to blow your money on food, drink and in Target where a toilet paper run can set you back in the hundreds for some odd reason. And even if you do just that, at 8 p.m. on May 22, the mall’s (sorry, but it’s a mall) Moonlit Movies series is back at the Fountain Plaza with a free screening of the stellar Ang Lee flick Life of Pi. Think of it as a sort of piback—er, payback for all you’ve contributed to their bottom line.
- Velvet Underground: The Stage welcomes Big Sam's Funky Nation for 'Soulfest Weekend' plus more poolside fashion flows at Fifty Miami
- Velvet Underground: A daytime salute to Overtown with music and art and Swim Week cascades through South Beach
- Velvet Underground: Huahua's Taqueria launches a hot happy hour series and The Duke Lounge/Gallery opens in Little Havana
- Velvet Underground: An all-American party at the National Hotel and Nikki Beach celebrates bacon on the beach
- Velvet Underground: party like a local at Rec Room on Thursdays and eat your way through Brickell with The Kitchen Hop
- Velvet Underground: Celebrate singledom with a bonafide 'Divorce Party' in South Beach, the Biltmore brings it back to the '80s, Gerry Kelly's annual birthday bash returns, and YoungArts presents new salon series
- Velvet Underground: Macchialina presents bartender Robert Ferrara in this month's bar takeover, Jazid on South Beach turns 18, and The Federal Food, Drink & Provisions hosts Solo Cup Sundays
- Velvet Underground: Yet another reason to raise your Negroni this week, DJ Roger Sanchez doles out a serious dose of disco at Story, and sing to win the Ultimate Miami Voice
- Velvet Underground: Summertime happy hour at Wynwood Kitchen & Bar, South Beach's Mr. Melvin Show welcomes Jon Secada, Fiesta Friday at Duffy's, Privileged Sundays return to the Delano, and the National Hotel launches party with vintage cocktails
- Velvet Underground: Hyde-out for the NBA Playoffs, Orange Blossom in South Beach launches high-end happy hour, a chic soirée with Barbara Hulanicki of "Biba," and get wet this weekend at the W Fort Lauderdale