Drink up: summer wine specials
Don't let the economic slowdown spoil your oenophile fantasies. Plenty of South Florida restaurants are offering pino for po folk.
By Sara Liss
Don't let the economic slowdown spoil your oenophile fantasies. Plenty of South Florida restaurants are offering tasting events and attractively priced wine pairings for dinner.
The regal Restaurant at the Setai is offering a $25 wine pairing to match the eclectic Asian dishes on their three-course Miami Spice menu. Selections include quaffs from small vineyards from the Setai's extensive wine cellar, such as the crisp, white Pierre Morey Bourgogne Aligote and a Nero d'Avola, a fruity red from the Mirabile winery in Sicily.
Join Coconut Grove after-office tipplers at Thirsty Thursdays at Jaguar Ceviche Spoon Bar & Latam Grill. Every Thursday from 7-9 p.m. and for $16, wine connoisseur Barry Alberts will be pouring three whites and reds and pairing them with fresh ceviche and chicken and steak skewers at this sexy Latin lounge.
The Mandarin Oriental's swanky Azul restaurant offers bottomless pours of selected wines for a reasonable $20 on Wine Fridays, noon-3 p.m. The wines rotate each week, but rest assured sommelier Cynthia Betancourt will be choosing high-quality sips like a Stubbs Chardonnay or a Selby Pinot Noir.
Coral Gables power player hub Fleming's Prime Steakhouse and Wine Bar recently introduced Discovery Flights as part of their ambitious wine program. The festive wine "trees" come with three pours (about 2 ounces) of any of the 100 wines featured on the restaurant's epic wine-by-the-glass list. While the price varies according the wines chosen, it's a good opportunity to enjoy that pricey Chateau Montelena cabernet without ponying up for the bottle.
Wanna share your own great wine deals? Leave a review!
- 9 excellent Eggs Benedicts at Miami and Fort Lauderdale restaurants
- South Beach sushi pop-up Prey puts invasive species on the menu at 1 Hotel & Homes
- The List: 10 best Miami foods with Batch Gastropub's Kevin Danilo
- Miami restaurant review: Upper East Side gets a Pinch of creative cooking
- 2 new Coral Gables restaurants opening this week: Trust & Co. and Ichimi
- Worth the drive: Clay Conley opens Grato restaurant in West Palm Beach
- Beaker & Gray is a new date spot in Wynwood
- A Top Chef's 10 favorite foods in Miami
- Former Zuma chef, manager to open KYU restaurant in Wynwood
- Kris Wessel to open barbecue joint in Miami's Little Haiti