Downtown Miami's Area 31 is reborn with an upscale seafood-centric menu
The glossy, seafood emporium reopens after five months with a new look and a new German-born chef
Area 31 at the Epic Hotel
270 Biscayne Blvd Way
The who: The glossy seafood emporium reopens after five months with a new look and a new German-born chef, Wolfgang Birk, whose experience includes stints at Michelin-starred Rino Casati in Cologne, Casa Casuarina and Cooper Avenue.
The scene: Perched at the mouth of the Miami River, the restaurant’s 16th floor locale is as impressive as ever with vistas of downtown skyscrapers and the nautical traffic below. The patio has been upgraded with better lighting and furniture, and the bar is expanded to accommodate the popular afternoon happy hour. Indoor seating offers views of the busy open kitchen amid bubble chandeliers, Indonesian wood tables and those same 12-foot-high windows.
The menu: The focus is still on fresh fish and seafood sourced from the restaurant’s namesake region, Fishing Area 31. Prices are par for a luxury hotel, with starters $12-$18 and mains $24-$42.
Dinner starts with herbed rolls and an olive sofrito. Then it’s off to a variety of crudo like yellofin tuna with oyster crema and red snapper with carrot vinaigrette. Fresh fish selections include snapper, flounder and swordfish, available seared with sauces like lemon-sea salt or red pepper sabayon. Meat lovers can order roasted lamb with quinoa or bone-in rib-eye with crispy yuca. Sides like escarole with anchovies and local oyster mushrooms keep things light.
Cap the fish feast with Key lime tart or house-made ice cream in flavors like raspberry and dulce de leche.
Bottom Line: Area’s 31’s enviable waterfront locale is reborn with an upscale menu that pays homage to the fruits of the sea.
- New chef, new look for Azul at the Mandarin Oriental Miami
- Porfirio's Restaurant puts upscale Mexican food in South Beach
- Fork and Balls busts out a lotta love for meatballs in Fort Lauderdale
- L'echon Brasserie blends French classics with Pubbelly twists in Miami Beach
- La Gazzetta in Miami draws crowds for its pizzas, happy hour, desserts
- New El'eat Restaurant goes for Modern American in North Miami Beach
- New-look Larios on the Beach puts an Estefan spin on Cuban food
- Basil Park boosts healthy food in Sunny Isles Beach
- New BLT Prime gets Trump treatment in Doral
- New AQ restaurant serves Florida-centric fare in Sunny Isles Beach's ritzy Acqualina Resort