Don Nicola bakes classic simple pizzas in Aventura's Mystic Pointe
Thin-crusted, generously sauced simple pies
3585 Mystic Pointe Dr, Aventura
The who: Argentine native and chef-owner Manuel Hiraldo helms Don Nicola, a quaint pizza parlor adjacent to the marina in Aventura's Mystic Pointe neighborhood. Hiraldo, who was mentored by legendary Argentine pizza maker Nicola Flauto, has put together a straightforward menu of pies and simple salads like a halved tomato served with olive oil and oregano.
The where: Don Nicola is located inside the gated Mystic Pointe community, so it can be a bit of a mission to find it. Outside patrons are welcome, but be sure to ask the guardhouse security staff for directions to Don Nicola's parking spots. Once inside you'll find a handful of tables in a wood-paneled dining room with a tiny bar, chalkboard menus and an open kitchen showcasing Italian ingredients like bags of Caputo Neapolitan flour and cans of San Marzano tomato sauce. Outdoor tables overlooking the marina are nicely shaded.
The pies: Thin-crusted and generously sauced, with toppings like Spanish chorizo, figs, prosciutto and hearts of palm. Prices are reasonable, with personal pies $8-$11, regular pies $12-$17 and bottles of wine at less that $20.
The why: To satisfy cravings for pizza and water views in Aventura.
- Ironside Pizza is slinging Neapolitan pies in Miami
- Seven Dials gives classic British pub fare a Miami makeover
- Morimoto rolls up to South Beach in style
- Finka fuses Cuban, Korean and Peruvian food in west Miami
- Vintro Kitchen emphasizes seafood in Miami Beach boutique hotel
- Temple Kitchen, a shrine to plant-based foods, opens in South Miami
- Old-school Italian meets South Beach chic at new Il Mulino
- Oyster bar classics and more at new Mignonette
- Holy guacamole: Cantina La Veinte pushes upmarket Mexican food in Miami
- Go hungry, like a wolf, to new Loba in Miami