Don Nicola bakes classic simple pizzas in Aventura's Mystic Pointe
Thin-crusted, generously sauced simple pies
3585 Mystic Pointe Dr, Aventura
The who: Argentine native and chef-owner Manuel Hiraldo helms Don Nicola, a quaint pizza parlor adjacent to the marina in Aventura's Mystic Pointe neighborhood. Hiraldo, who was mentored by legendary Argentine pizza maker Nicola Flauto, has put together a straightforward menu of pies and simple salads like a halved tomato served with olive oil and oregano.
The where: Don Nicola is located inside the gated Mystic Pointe community, so it can be a bit of a mission to find it. Outside patrons are welcome, but be sure to ask the guardhouse security staff for directions to Don Nicola's parking spots. Once inside you'll find a handful of tables in a wood-paneled dining room with a tiny bar, chalkboard menus and an open kitchen showcasing Italian ingredients like bags of Caputo Neapolitan flour and cans of San Marzano tomato sauce. Outdoor tables overlooking the marina are nicely shaded.
The pies: Thin-crusted and generously sauced, with toppings like Spanish chorizo, figs, prosciutto and hearts of palm. Prices are reasonable, with personal pies $8-$11, regular pies $12-$17 and bottles of wine at less that $20.
The why: To satisfy cravings for pizza and water views in Aventura.
- New-look STK in Miami Beach is off to a sexy, meaty start
- Zuma's sibling Coya swaggers into Brickell
- Fooq's is dishing out a global bouquet of food in downtown Miami
- Bagatelle brings its rowdy French party to South Beach
- Spanish team goes for high-end Mediterranean food at Klima in Miami Beach
- Quality Meats gets things sizzling in South Beach
- Toronto import Cibo goes for Italian gold in South Beach
- Scott Conant's in the kitchen (sometimes) at Corsair in Aventura
- Ted's at YoungArts fills gastro-entertainment niche in Miami
- Things are F.A.B. at new restaurant in Sunny Isles Beach