Don Nicola bakes classic simple pizzas in Aventura's Mystic Pointe
Thin-crusted, generously sauced simple pies
The who: Argentine native and chef-owner Manuel Hiraldo helms Don Nicola, a quaint pizza parlor adjacent to the marina in Aventura's Mystic Pointe neighborhood. Hiraldo, who was mentored by legendary Argentine pizza maker Nicola Flauto, has put together a straightforward menu of pies and simple salads like a halved tomato served with olive oil and oregano.
The where: Don Nicola is located inside the gated Mystic Pointe community, so it can be a bit of a mission to find it. Outside patrons are welcome, but be sure to ask the guardhouse security staff for directions to Don Nicola's parking spots. Once inside you'll find a handful of tables in a wood-paneled dining room with a tiny bar, chalkboard menus and an open kitchen showcasing Italian ingredients like bags of Caputo Neapolitan flour and cans of San Marzano tomato sauce. Outdoor tables overlooking the marina are nicely shaded.
The pies: Thin-crusted and generously sauced, with toppings like Spanish chorizo, figs, prosciutto and hearts of palm. Prices are reasonable, with personal pies $8-$11, regular pies $12-$17 and bottles of wine at less that $20.
The why: To satisfy cravings for pizza and water views in Aventura.
3585 Mystic Pointe Dr, Aventura
- A peek at the new Bulla Gastrobar in Doral
- 5 reasons to check out PB Station
- A steakhouse with Pubbelly flare comes to downtown
- Where in Miami to find Uruguayan grilled meats in a luxe setting
- 4 new Miami restaurants to try in June
- Why celebrities flock to this South Beach spot for sweets and comfort food
- Where to find fast, healthy Mediterranean street food
- First Look: Downtown gets a dose of Caribbean flavors at Zest
- 5 New Restaurants that Opened in Miami in 2016 where You Must Dine
- First Look: Upscale Peruvian at Bay Harbor's O'Lima