Don Nicola bakes classic simple pizzas in Aventura's Mystic Pointe
Thin-crusted, generously sauced simple pies
3585 Mystic Pointe Dr, Aventura
The who: Argentine native and chef-owner Manuel Hiraldo helms Don Nicola, a quaint pizza parlor adjacent to the marina in Aventura's Mystic Pointe neighborhood. Hiraldo, who was mentored by legendary Argentine pizza maker Nicola Flauto, has put together a straightforward menu of pies and simple salads like a halved tomato served with olive oil and oregano.
The where: Don Nicola is located inside the gated Mystic Pointe community, so it can be a bit of a mission to find it. Outside patrons are welcome, but be sure to ask the guardhouse security staff for directions to Don Nicola's parking spots. Once inside you'll find a handful of tables in a wood-paneled dining room with a tiny bar, chalkboard menus and an open kitchen showcasing Italian ingredients like bags of Caputo Neapolitan flour and cans of San Marzano tomato sauce. Outdoor tables overlooking the marina are nicely shaded.
The pies: Thin-crusted and generously sauced, with toppings like Spanish chorizo, figs, prosciutto and hearts of palm. Prices are reasonable, with personal pies $8-$11, regular pies $12-$17 and bottles of wine at less that $20.
The why: To satisfy cravings for pizza and water views in Aventura.
- Scott Conant's in the kitchen (sometimes) at Corsair in Aventura
- Ted's at YoungArts fills gastro-entertainment niche in Miami
- Things are F.A.B. at new restaurant in Sunny Isles Beach
- La Terrasse restaurant serves high-end French-Med in South Beach
- Campania plants Southern Italian flag in Miami's Design District
- La Savina in the Mondrian puts a little Ibiza in South Beach
- Tacos and more at Miami Beach's bodacious Bodega
- Bistro Bal Harbour weaves Latin influences into modern American cooking
- 27 Restaurant serving eclectic home cooking, stylish cocktails in Miami Beach
- Jean-Georges turns to Latino cooking at new Matador Room in Miami Beach