The District Miami is a laid-back spot for Latin-influenced small plates and craft beers
A perfect post-Art Walk date night
The District Miami
190 NE 46 St, Miami
The who: A collaboration by Alexander Ringleb and chef Horacio Rivadero (OLA, The Dining Room), the District Miami is a laid-back spot for Latin-influenced small plates and craft beers. Rivadero homes in on the crudos, ceviches and cured fish dishes typical of OLA while also incorporating gastropub-type dishes like deviled eggs, beet salad and lamb tartare.
The space: The Buena Vista spot has housed quite a few restaurants including the pioneering One-Ninety and most recently Café 46. This redesign is extensive, with exposed brick, wood-paneled walls, funky artwork and handsome patio. When the place is packed, it feels sexy and urbane, almost like a spot you’d find in an up and coming section of Brooklyn.
The plates: Eclectic and colorful. Prices skew high for the neighborhood, with starters $9-$18 and mains $19-$42. Dinner starts with house-made cheese bread, but save room for a trio of lobster tacos made with aji amarillo escabeche, pickled cabbage and crispy shallots. The corvina ceviche is dressed with yuzu-lime juice, tarragon, red onions and grapefruit sorbet, while the cast-iron cooked octopus comes on a bed of quinoa with eggplant puree.
Mains are generously portioned with dishes like roasted chicken in aji de gallina sauce with fingerling potatoes, okra and turnips and a slow-roasted Afro-Cuban pork shoulder beside a Creole salad.
Desserts include a 4 Leches Parfait with macadamia nuts, vanilla caramelized pineapple and Italian merengue and the Black Magic, a semi-sweet chocolate mousse with homemade marshmallows and sweet potato vanilla bean drizzle.
Best for: A post-art walk date night or entertaining out-of-town friends.
- Red Ginger rolls sushi and izakaya small plates in SoFi
- Tom Colicchio's Beachcraft opens with earnest seasonal cooking
- Tantalize tempts with dancers and churrasco
- Michelle Bernstein is back at her flagship, now called Cena
- Brad Kilgore wants to alter your perceptions at Alter
- Fancy Asian tapas and umami cocktails beckon at Kuro
- Get your frites on: Bistro Cassis opens in midtown Miami
- Take a swim with Soho Bay's fresh fish dishes
- Coral Gables gets buzzy over new Spanish restaurant Piripi
- Icy-cool crudo and rocket-hot rocks at Modern Garden in Miami