The District Miami is a laid-back spot for Latin-influenced small plates and craft beers
A perfect post-Art Walk date night
The who: A collaboration by Alexander Ringleb and chef Horacio Rivadero (OLA, The Dining Room), the District Miami is a laid-back spot for Latin-influenced small plates and craft beers. Rivadero homes in on the crudos, ceviches and cured fish dishes typical of OLA while also incorporating gastropub-type dishes like deviled eggs, beet salad and lamb tartare.
The space: The Buena Vista spot has housed quite a few restaurants including the pioneering One-Ninety and most recently Café 46. This redesign is extensive, with exposed brick, wood-paneled walls, funky artwork and handsome patio. When the place is packed, it feels sexy and urbane, almost like a spot you’d find in an up and coming section of Brooklyn.
The plates: Eclectic and colorful. Prices skew high for the neighborhood, with starters $9-$18 and mains $19-$42. Dinner starts with house-made cheese bread, but save room for a trio of lobster tacos made with aji amarillo escabeche, pickled cabbage and crispy shallots. The corvina ceviche is dressed with yuzu-lime juice, tarragon, red onions and grapefruit sorbet, while the cast-iron cooked octopus comes on a bed of quinoa with eggplant puree.
Mains are generously portioned with dishes like roasted chicken in aji de gallina sauce with fingerling potatoes, okra and turnips and a slow-roasted Afro-Cuban pork shoulder beside a Creole salad.
Desserts include a 4 Leches Parfait with macadamia nuts, vanilla caramelized pineapple and Italian merengue and the Black Magic, a semi-sweet chocolate mousse with homemade marshmallows and sweet potato vanilla bean drizzle.
Best for: A post-art walk date night or entertaining out-of-town friends.
The District Miami
190 NE 46 St, Miami
- This new sandwich shop keeps South Beach party going
- Catch some Poke, man: Polynesian flavors at rooftop Watr
- Pasta is handmade to order at this South Beach spot
- Here are four new Miami restaurants to try in August
- Changes to chef, decore at Mimo's Vagabond Kitchen and Bar restaurant
- A look inside new 'hip Peruvian' restaurant in Doral
- This Brickell spot lets you look out over Miami with a cocktail
- Why this sleek Miami Beach restaurant became a pizza and burger joint for the summer
- Why Daniel Boulud's Miami restaurant is going Mediterranean
- A peek at the new Bulla Gastrobar in Doral