The District Miami is a laid-back spot for Latin-influenced small plates and craft beers
A perfect post-Art Walk date night
The District Miami
190 NE 46 St, Miami
The who: A collaboration by Alexander Ringleb and chef Horacio Rivadero (OLA, The Dining Room), the District Miami is a laid-back spot for Latin-influenced small plates and craft beers. Rivadero homes in on the crudos, ceviches and cured fish dishes typical of OLA while also incorporating gastropub-type dishes like deviled eggs, beet salad and lamb tartare.
The space: The Buena Vista spot has housed quite a few restaurants including the pioneering One-Ninety and most recently Café 46. This redesign is extensive, with exposed brick, wood-paneled walls, funky artwork and handsome patio. When the place is packed, it feels sexy and urbane, almost like a spot you’d find in an up and coming section of Brooklyn.
The plates: Eclectic and colorful. Prices skew high for the neighborhood, with starters $9-$18 and mains $19-$42. Dinner starts with house-made cheese bread, but save room for a trio of lobster tacos made with aji amarillo escabeche, pickled cabbage and crispy shallots. The corvina ceviche is dressed with yuzu-lime juice, tarragon, red onions and grapefruit sorbet, while the cast-iron cooked octopus comes on a bed of quinoa with eggplant puree.
Mains are generously portioned with dishes like roasted chicken in aji de gallina sauce with fingerling potatoes, okra and turnips and a slow-roasted Afro-Cuban pork shoulder beside a Creole salad.
Desserts include a 4 Leches Parfait with macadamia nuts, vanilla caramelized pineapple and Italian merengue and the Black Magic, a semi-sweet chocolate mousse with homemade marshmallows and sweet potato vanilla bean drizzle.
Best for: A post-art walk date night or entertaining out-of-town friends.
- Zuma's sibling Coya swaggers into Brickell
- Fooq's is dishing out a global bouquet of food in downtown Miami
- Bagatelle brings its rowdy French party to South Beach
- Spanish team goes for high-end Mediterranean food at Klima in Miami Beach
- Quality Meats gets things sizzling in South Beach
- Toronto import Cibo goes for Italian gold in South Beach
- Scott Conant's in the kitchen (sometimes) at Corsair in Aventura
- Ted's at YoungArts fills gastro-entertainment niche in Miami
- Things are F.A.B. at new restaurant in Sunny Isles Beach
- La Terrasse restaurant serves high-end French-Med in South Beach