The District Miami is a laid-back spot for Latin-influenced small plates and craft beers
A perfect post-Art Walk date night
The District Miami
190 NE 46 St, Miami
The who: A collaboration by Alexander Ringleb and chef Horacio Rivadero (OLA, The Dining Room), the District Miami is a laid-back spot for Latin-influenced small plates and craft beers. Rivadero homes in on the crudos, ceviches and cured fish dishes typical of OLA while also incorporating gastropub-type dishes like deviled eggs, beet salad and lamb tartare.
The space: The Buena Vista spot has housed quite a few restaurants including the pioneering One-Ninety and most recently Café 46. This redesign is extensive, with exposed brick, wood-paneled walls, funky artwork and handsome patio. When the place is packed, it feels sexy and urbane, almost like a spot you’d find in an up and coming section of Brooklyn.
The plates: Eclectic and colorful. Prices skew high for the neighborhood, with starters $9-$18 and mains $19-$42. Dinner starts with house-made cheese bread, but save room for a trio of lobster tacos made with aji amarillo escabeche, pickled cabbage and crispy shallots. The corvina ceviche is dressed with yuzu-lime juice, tarragon, red onions and grapefruit sorbet, while the cast-iron cooked octopus comes on a bed of quinoa with eggplant puree.
Mains are generously portioned with dishes like roasted chicken in aji de gallina sauce with fingerling potatoes, okra and turnips and a slow-roasted Afro-Cuban pork shoulder beside a Creole salad.
Desserts include a 4 Leches Parfait with macadamia nuts, vanilla caramelized pineapple and Italian merengue and the Black Magic, a semi-sweet chocolate mousse with homemade marshmallows and sweet potato vanilla bean drizzle.
Best for: A post-art walk date night or entertaining out-of-town friends.
- Say 'Opa!' to new Cleo restaurant in the Redbury Hotel in Miami Beach
- Brasserie Central opens its French doors at Merrick Park in Coral Gables
- Stripsteak at the Fontainebleau is the latest in Michael Mina's South Florida mini-empire
- Tamarina puts coastal Italian flavors in downtown Miami
- Ceviche 105 off to a fresh start in South Beach
- Modern Italian bistro Moye opens in Brickell
- Babylon opens gateway to Turkish cuisine in South Beach
- Ironside Pizza is slinging Neapolitan pies in Miami
- Seven Dials gives classic British pub fare a Miami makeover
- Morimoto rolls up to South Beach in style