The District Factory launches during Design District's Second Saturday event
Miami's emerging artists and designers converge at The District Factory where creatives in the world of art, food, and fashion can showcase and sell their work.
Saturday, Apr. 14 from 7-10 p.m. at 3900 NE First Ave., Miami
More information at districtfactory.com
Debuting during the Design District's monthly Second Saturday event, The District Factory is the place to be for anyone who wants to get their hands on some original works of wearable art. Yes, that means accessories, clothes, reconstructed vintage, and many other items crafted and created by Miami's trendiest designers who may be flying under the radar of many a fashionista.
The event, hosted by Miami.com fashion writer Annie Vazquez, will showcase boho chic bracelets by Blu Lua, graphic tees by Farofa Nation, handmade boots by Luna Bertolotti, accessories by Vicious Sweet and host of other local artisans. The District Factory is a nod to Andy Warhol's famed studio "The Factory," a bastion of creativity where an artistic community was forged that nurtured its artists in various endeavors. The ultimate goal of this event is to create a similar dynamic in Miami and help local artists make a living doing what they love and to eventually become a communal workspace/showroom available seven days a week.
The District Factory will also feature art installations, specialty cocktails and light bites, a complimentary quick fix from Nail Bar Beauty and Lounge, sounds by the pros at Scratch DJ Academy and an indie “Factory Flick” courtesy of O Cinema. Richard Hambleton, known as the Godfather of Street Art, who rose to fame with contemporaries Keith Haring and Jean-Michel Basquiat during the '80s, will have seven of his most coveted pieces on display and available for purchase.
The event will give part of the proceeds to Dress for Success Miami, an organization that provides training and professional clothing to individuals struggling to secure and retain employment.
Saturday, Apr. 14 from 7-10 p.m. at 3900 NE First Ave., Miami; more information at districtfactory.com
See and Do
- Michael Franti & Spearhead headline music and yoga festival
- 10 things not to miss this week: Art, Marvel comics & freebie fun
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - July 25-27
- ‘Cirque Dreams Jungle Fantasy’ brings a United Nations of talent to the Broward Center stage
- Absorbing and exquisitely acted, GableStage’s ‘The Whale’ is a study in connection
- ‘H2OMBRE’ brings splashy spectacle and lots of water to the Arsht Center stage
- Cinderella, robots, date night & Munchkin Fun's top 10 picks for the week
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - July 18-20
- Overtown Music and Arts Festival 2014
- Ice cream parties, kids carnivals & Munchkin Fun's top picks for the week