Diane von Furstenberg Q&A
In town to toast her new Coral Gables boutique, we chat up the prolific designer.
Women all over the globe have Diane von Furstenberg to thank for the invention of the figure-flattering wrap dress. Since ’72, Von Furstenberg has been a tour de force in the rough-and-tumble fashion world and in her significant role as the Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA) president, she dedicates herself to fostering emerging talent. In town to toast her new Coral Gables boutique, we chat up von Furstenberg on Miami, marriage and more.
What do you love most about Miami? Miami has a certain joie de vivre and it is sexy!
Since its inception, your wrap dress has been a wardrobe staple — what is another item every woman should have hanging in their closet? A fantastic coat. A coat is the first thing people see, so I always like something bold. I love the Sally coat in python that is part of our Resort collection.
You've created a fashion empire but always tout your children, Alexander and Tatiana, and four grandchildren as your greatest creations. How has being a mother and grandmother impacted your life? I would not be the same person if I were not a mother and a grandmother. It taught me responsibility and to be serious. And to see your children and grandchildren grow is a reminder of the passage of time, so you don’t waste it!
Dish some marriage advice — what's the secret to happily ever after? Be true to yourself — if you lose yourself, you lose what attracted you to one another in the first place.
It's your day off — quick! — what are you doing? Hiking with my family.
358 San Lorenzo Avenue
Village of Merrick Park, Coral Gables
- Knock-Off Handbags are Aplenty in Miami — But the Real Deal is Always Better
- Keeping Up With Camilla
- Coral Gables native and Miami-based designer Alexis Barbara Isaias shares her local musts.
- 5 Surprising Facts About Kimora Lee Simmons
- Bammies: A Miami Startup Making Pajamas Work Appropriate
- Art Basel Brings a Louis Vuitton and Marcel Wanders Collaboration
- Meet Miami's Own Designer Behind The Nomadic Collector
- Shinola Opens in Wynwood
- Stuart Weitzman Knows What Women Want
- Steve Madden Celebrates 25 Years