Designer to the stars
Self entitled book all about the catwalk
NEW YORK -- (AP) -- Each runway show is a chapter in Anna Sui's life. It's a commentary on her interests, passions and mindset of the moment. Now each runway show is also a chapter in a new book, which, she says, is an autobiography in pictures. Seeing it all together, Sui notices some commonalities -- especially the influence of rock ‘n' roll -- and some aberrations -- like the joint surfer-hip hop moment -- but it all makes her feel both humbled and proud. "All I ever wanted to do was design clothes for rock stars and people who go to rock concerts. That I've been able to do that for so long is pretty amazing," Sui told the AP.
It's also pretty amazing that Sui can define the single moment her career took off in 1990: Madonna, on her way to a Jean Paul Gaultier fashion show in Paris, wore one of Sui's dresses. She could have chosen any one of the hundreds of designer frocks littering her hotel room, but the pop star-fashion diva picked hers. "It was the first in a chain of events that gave me the confidence to stage my own fashion show," Sui writes in the forward of Anna Sui, published by Chronicle.
On Our Radar
- Supermodel Naomi Campbell plays mentor
- Dance contestants visit FIU to judge dance competition for charity
- Enrique Iglesias, Romeo Santos and Nicky Jam among the top finalists for 2016 Billboard Latin Music Awards
- At 71, Patti Labelle is just getting started
- 7 Funniest Lines from Miami's Dave Barry at the Iowa Caucuses
- Shark Tank star to exhibit art
- Marlon Wayans: I'm not really like Christian Grey
- Sports Illustrated fan fest headed to Miami Beach
- Gloria Estefan teams up with Oscar winner
- Opera superstar Placido Domingo at AAA