Desi Santiago takes over the Lords Hotel during Art Basel
The Lord South Beach gets a dark make-over courtesy of artist Desi Santiago.
Artist Desi Santiago takes over Lords South Beach (literally) with a huge public installation from Dec. 3-9 during Art Basel Miami Beach 2012.
The Black Lords at Lords South Beach is the transformation of Lords South Beach into a ravenous black dog named Gypsy that often appears throughout Desi's work. Upon closer inspection, visitors will find an assemblage utilizing low-fi materials such as construction netting and inflatable parts. A looming head overlooks the courtyard, menacing paws flank the entrance, and a whipping tail finds its way in the back.
After the enormous work is taken in, visitors will then be able to participate in a multi-sensory ritual evoking the dark and macabre subculture Desi is known for. They will also be able to have their fortune told by Gypsy. When asking simple questions, Gypsy will respond through her laser eyes, smoke, and sounds of her running, panting, and barking.
The Black Lords at Lords South Beach, is the largest-scale project in Desi Santiago's career and will be open daily from 11 a.m. to 2 a.m. at Lords South Beach located at 1120 Collins Ave. (at 11th Street) in Miami Beach. Two private parties will celebrate the opening of Perrier® Presents: The Black Lords at Lords South Beach. On Tuesday evening there will be a VIP Penthouse party and Thursday evening the third annual Midnight in Miami party.
- Actor Jeremy Piven backs out of InterContinental Miami Hotel digital unveiling, felt image of sultry dancing woman was too risque, bad for image
- No breakfast art by Jennifer Rubell this year during Art Basel Week
- Party Patrol: Art Basel Music Edition
- Basel Blog
- Invader premieres film Art4Space during Art Basel
- Art Basel Kids Guide
- Heineken Mural Project brings beer, bikes and (of course) huge murals to Wynwood for Art Basel
- Celebrity Reflection debuts impressive art collection
- FashionArtWalls captures Wynwood’s splendor in time for Art Basel
- Tips to Navigate Art Basel Miami Beach like a veteran