Known more for art, her minimalist funky vibe is also turning heads
Deniz Kurtel is far from a household name when it comes to the big stars of Winter Music Conference, but her sets throw down a minimalist but funky vibe. She'll step behind the decks Saturday night at Electric Pickle in support of her new album, "Music Watching Over Me," at the Get Lost party, hosted by Crosstown Rebels, alongside Soul Clap, Jamie Jones, Lee Foss, Damian Lazarus, Subb-an, Maceo Plex and more. She's also well-known for her art - in particular, sculptures and combining LED and mirrors.
What can we expect from your show?
This show is going to be my album release party because the album comes out on March 14, just 12 days before the party. I'll be playing some material from my new album and also a lot of unreleased and newer material.
What sort of artwork will you incorporate in the show?
I am designing a new light installation for the main room at the Electric Pickle, but haven't sorted out the details yet. I won't be using LEDs this time - I'm planning to try different lighting.
What sort of mood were you going for with "Music Watching Over Me"?
I wasn't going for a specific mood, but most people who have heard it describe it as dark and mysterious.
What inspired you to get into producing electronic music?
Being around this kind of music for a long time, and friends who DJ and produce, especially Zev and Gadi (Wolf+Lamb), and Seth Troxler.
Have you ever been to Winter Music Conference?
Yes, I have, and actually played the same Get Lost party last year at the Electric Pickle. That was my first time playing there.
Where do you live, and what do you think of Miami?
I currently live in Berlin, but I just spent two months in Miami this winter with Wolf+Lamb and Soul Clap. We rented a house in Miami Shores to be away from the cold, and I loved it! I can't wait to be back there in a few weeks.
- Deadmau5 plays 250-minute set at Ice Palace in downtown Miami
- See Deadmau5 spin at free concert in Miami on Feb. 15
- Krewella brings electronic dance music to Miami Beach on Nov. 8
- Michael Brun brings fresh sounds to LIV on Saturday
- DJs Chris Lake, Nom de Strip and TJR brings Rising Fall tour to Miami Beach
- Paul Oakenfold returns to the beach this weekend
- Matthew Dear plays SAFE's sixth anniversary party at Electric Pickle
- DJs Jeremy Olander and Fehrplay of Eric Prydz's Pryda Friends play Club Space
- DJ Obscene gets ready to rule the pools this weekend on Miami Beach
- DJ Arty brings his Russian talents to Mansion on South Beach