Deals on drinks, themed-drinks and clothes with drinks in Miami this weekend
From bourbon to bowling, and plenty of DJs associated with the Miami Heat
One Bourbon, One More Bourbon, Some Beers
Here we go again, another National Insert Your Favorite Food or Drink Month, this time in honor of bourbon, and to celebrate, Yardbird Southern Table & Bar is giving free bourbon cocktails to women from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. every Friday until the end of September. Chasing those cocktails are free snacks: fried black eyed peas, candied spiced peanuts and house dill pickles, available to those with X and or Y chromosomes.
Lucky Strike Bowling Lanes throws back, hosting its monthly 80s night at 10 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 15. Among the festivities: a costume contest, 80s movie-themed drinks at $5 each and “transcendent beats” by Miami Marlins’ DJ Vertigo.
The Heat is On at FDR
Everybody may be a DJ these days, but not every DJ is a former Miami Heat player like Rony Seikaly who will spin at 11 p.m. every Friday at FDR at the Delano's Boite Fridays. From Heat players to Het playas, on Saturdays, DJ Irie takes over the turntables at the subterranean hot spot.
Gilt City Miami Warehouse Sale will take place at 9:30 p.m. Friday, Sept. 14 and all day Saturday, Sept. 15 at 7610 NE 4th Court. The local shopping event offers something for everyone from men's and women's fashion and accessories to kids' apparel (and even home decor) all at prices up to 80 percent off retail. The sale features top designers such as Derek Lam, Matthew Williamson and Oliver Peoples. Tickets are $20 and include snacks and cocktails. Cash poor will love this: credit cards only. Get your tickets at www.giltcity.com/miami/warehousesalemia.
The late and legendary Julia Child would have been 100 this year, and celebrating her legacy is the fancy food gang known as Les Dames D'Escoffier, whose Child-ish birthday bash takes place from 5 - 7 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 15 at The Freedom Tower (600 Biscayne Blvd., Miami). A $75 per person ticket gets you cocktails, small plates and sweets by a slew of local restaurants, including Sugarcane, De Rodriguez Cuba, City Hall and more. Jazz singer Maryel Epps will perform and Chef Allen Susser will serve as Emcee. For tickets, go to www.lesdamesmiami.org.
Who's Yo Momma?
Myra Wexler is better known throughout the artsy, funky, hipster circles as Yo Momma. But whatever you call her, make sure you RSVP to her Algonquin Round Table meets Warhol's Factory-style event from 6 - 10 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 19 at 12345 West Dixie Studio and Gallery in North Miami. There, you'll see "The Show," featuring photos by David Siqueiros and portrait and caricature representations of Wexler--er, Yo Momma, as seen by her fabulous coterie of artist friends. To attend, RSVP at email@example.com. Says Wexler, "Show the love. Obey Yo Momma."
- Velvet Underground: Vinyl fever returns on Record Store Day, LA-based dark glam opera band 'Timur and the Dime Museum' plays for The Miami Light Project, and go retro with famed drag queen Elaine Lancaster at Miami Bingo Bash
- Velvet Underground: Heavyweight champion Shannon "The Cannon" Briggs hosts fight night at Wonderland, Cuban hip hopper Danay Suarez plays North Beach, Alberto Cabrera's Bread + Butter launches happy hour
- Velvet Underground: Gratis Champagne at Duffy's in North Miami Beach, Adoré Nightclub brings Vegas to South Beach, and yoga to soothe an over-partied soul at The Standard
- Velvet Underground: Pablo Picasso's grandson spins at Bâoli for WMC, Perfecto Gastrobar throws a party for Spanish dignitaries, hipsters converge at Lulu Laboratorium in Wynwood, and escape the EDM at The Cabaret
- Velvet Underground: Miami's Latin-funk pioneers perform at Tobacco Road for 20th anniversary, E11even in downtown Miami hosts happy hour, find your way into the hottest WMC parties, and Swine celebrates one year with a $2 Old Fashioned
- Velvet Underground: Floral couture with Kalla Flowers in Coral Gables, Hearts and Stars Gala at Terra Veritatis mansion, Cuban zeitgeist, and free Guinness at the Delano on St. Patty's Day
- Velvet Underground: The World Golf Championships hits Doral, MO Bar + Lounge opens at the Mandarin Oriental with cocktails by Angelo Vieira, OTC's Jacob Anaya cooks up a feast with Wynwood Brewing Co., and the Oscars of drag at Score
- Velvet Underground: Spa party at the Viceroy, Chaos Cooking comes to Miami, Spam Allstars drop a new album, and Sunday funday at The Broken Shaker
- Velvet Underground: The Dead Rabbit pops up at Patpong Road, The Stage launches 3-2-1 Lounge, Chippendales extends its visit, and Eats N Beats in the Design District
- Velvet Underground: Valentine's Day parties takeover nightlife at Baoli, the W Fort Lauderdale, Tobacco Road, the Delano, and more