Deals on drinks, themed-drinks and clothes with drinks in Miami this weekend
From bourbon to bowling, and plenty of DJs associated with the Miami Heat
One Bourbon, One More Bourbon, Some Beers
Here we go again, another National Insert Your Favorite Food or Drink Month, this time in honor of bourbon, and to celebrate, Yardbird Southern Table & Bar is giving free bourbon cocktails to women from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. every Friday until the end of September. Chasing those cocktails are free snacks: fried black eyed peas, candied spiced peanuts and house dill pickles, available to those with X and or Y chromosomes.
Lucky Strike Bowling Lanes throws back, hosting its monthly 80s night at 10 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 15. Among the festivities: a costume contest, 80s movie-themed drinks at $5 each and “transcendent beats” by Miami Marlins’ DJ Vertigo.
The Heat is On at FDR
Everybody may be a DJ these days, but not every DJ is a former Miami Heat player like Rony Seikaly who will spin at 11 p.m. every Friday at FDR at the Delano's Boite Fridays. From Heat players to Het playas, on Saturdays, DJ Irie takes over the turntables at the subterranean hot spot.
Gilt City Miami Warehouse Sale will take place at 9:30 p.m. Friday, Sept. 14 and all day Saturday, Sept. 15 at 7610 NE 4th Court. The local shopping event offers something for everyone from men's and women's fashion and accessories to kids' apparel (and even home decor) all at prices up to 80 percent off retail. The sale features top designers such as Derek Lam, Matthew Williamson and Oliver Peoples. Tickets are $20 and include snacks and cocktails. Cash poor will love this: credit cards only. Get your tickets at www.giltcity.com/miami/warehousesalemia.
The late and legendary Julia Child would have been 100 this year, and celebrating her legacy is the fancy food gang known as Les Dames D'Escoffier, whose Child-ish birthday bash takes place from 5 - 7 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 15 at The Freedom Tower (600 Biscayne Blvd., Miami). A $75 per person ticket gets you cocktails, small plates and sweets by a slew of local restaurants, including Sugarcane, De Rodriguez Cuba, City Hall and more. Jazz singer Maryel Epps will perform and Chef Allen Susser will serve as Emcee. For tickets, go to www.lesdamesmiami.org.
Who's Yo Momma?
Myra Wexler is better known throughout the artsy, funky, hipster circles as Yo Momma. But whatever you call her, make sure you RSVP to her Algonquin Round Table meets Warhol's Factory-style event from 6 - 10 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 19 at 12345 West Dixie Studio and Gallery in North Miami. There, you'll see "The Show," featuring photos by David Siqueiros and portrait and caricature representations of Wexler--er, Yo Momma, as seen by her fabulous coterie of artist friends. To attend, RSVP at email@example.com. Says Wexler, "Show the love. Obey Yo Momma."
- Velvet Underground: Cheers to one year of local brews at Wynwood Brewing Company and all-you-can-eat tacos at Toro Toro
- Velvet Underground: African music and culture takes the stage at the Afro Roots World Music Festival and The Broken Shaker invites you to party poolside this Sunday
- Velvet Underground: Balans launches karaoke night and db Bistro Moderne brings back the decadent daily 'DBQ Happy Hour'
- Velvet Underground: The Stage welcomes Big Sam's Funky Nation for 'Soulfest Weekend' plus more poolside fashion flows at Fifty Miami
- Velvet Underground: A daytime salute to Overtown with music and art and Swim Week cascades through South Beach
- Velvet Underground: Huahua's Taqueria launches a hot happy hour series and The Duke Lounge/Gallery opens in Little Havana
- Velvet Underground: An all-American party at the National Hotel and Nikki Beach celebrates bacon on the beach
- Velvet Underground: party like a local at Rec Room on Thursdays and eat your way through Brickell with The Kitchen Hop
- Velvet Underground: Celebrate singledom with a bonafide 'Divorce Party' in South Beach, the Biltmore brings it back to the '80s, Gerry Kelly's annual birthday bash returns, and YoungArts presents new salon series
- Velvet Underground: Macchialina presents bartender Robert Ferrara in this month's bar takeover, Jazid on South Beach turns 18, and The Federal Food, Drink & Provisions hosts Solo Cup Sundays