David Allen Grier talks Obama, “DWTS”
The ’90s were arguably good years for actor and comedian David Alan Grier. The Yale Drama School grad had already established a Broadway career playing Jackie Robinson in Th...
The ’90s were arguably good years for actor and comedian David Alan Grier. The Yale Drama School grad had already established a Broadway career playing Jackie Robinson in The First and starring in Dreamgirls, but on the cult sketch comedy show In Living Color, Grier finger-snapped his way to fame. Who could forget his turns as flamboyant film critic Antoine Merriweather and washed-up blues “great” Calhoun Tubbs?
Before his two nights of stand-up at the Lansburgh Theatre in D.C., Grier was down for a game of Mad Libs about his life, his book , Barack Like Me, and his Dancing stint. Just what will come out of the former Chocolate News host’s mouth is anybody’s guess. Here’s a sample :
1. Most fans don’t know: I’m a gourmand
2. The part of my body that got the biggest workout on Dancing With the Stars was: My ego.
3 The one chapter of my book, “Barack Like Me,” that people always want to talk about is: How I tried to join the Black Panthers at 15. But I’d much rather talk about: My record collection.
4. Right now I’m working on: Getting my daughter to fall asleep.
5. If I could interview Charlie Sheen on Chocolate News, I definitely would ask him: About the absence of African American goddesses in his stable.
6. The accomplishments I’m most proud of are: I woke up this morning and made it till sundown.
7. If I were to abridge the story of David Alan Grier into one Tweet, it would go a little something like this: This is a task better left for others to do.
8. If, in a hypothetical world, the 2012 presidential election were down to Newt Gingrich, Lady Gaga, Sarah Palin, Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, Justin Bieber I’d choose: Barack Obama because there are no other viable candidates.
On Our Radar
- Florida has better taste in Halloween candy than most other states, says survey
- Phil Collins: 'I don’t like Miami particularly'
- DJ Irie gets put in the hot seat this Saturday at his own celebrity roast
- King Tide floods the streets of South Florida
- Jose Fernandez may get his own Miami street
- Orange is the New Black star gets her drink on
- Where to get hurricane updates without a TV
- Leonardo DiCaprio, Mark Ruffalo at “Before the Flood” screening
- What's closed in Miami because of Hurricane Matthew
- La La Anthony in Miami trying out cocktails