Talking hospitality & hamburgers with Danny Meyer
Amstel Light Burger Bash presented by Allen Brothers hosted by Rachael Ray
Thursday, Feb 24 7pm, Ritz-Carlton SoBe, $200
Bank of America Lifestyle Seminar: Danny Meyer Shake Shack Seminar
Saturday, Fen 26 3pm, W South Beach, $100
Danny Meyer is all about hospitality and hamburgers. The St. Louis native is arguably Manhattan’s most celebrated restaurateur, the creator of Shake Shack and the author of Setting the Table: The Transforming Power of Hospitality in Business ($26.99, Harper Collins). He’s bringing his talents to South Beach this year to oversee the Shake Shack entry into Burger Bash and lead a Shake Shack wine tasting seminar. We talked to Meyer about Shake Shack, burger love and pairing wines with cheese fries.
What are you looking forward to at this year’s festival?
Burger Bash. It’s actually going to the first time I’ve attended Burger Bash. I’ve been to Bubble Q, but haven’t been to the South Beach Festival for a good five years or so.
How is Shake Shack Miami doing?
Amazingly well. I was there a week ago - it’s really exciting. We opened in the oppressive heat of summer, so this is the first high season experience we’ve had and we’re just doing enormous amounts of business relative to the summer. Our team just loves it in Miami.
Why did you choose Miami for your first Shake Shack outside of NY?
We always liked Miami, but the thing that made us make it the first one was the 1111 (Lincoln Road) project. We were all just incredibly inspired by the vision. We always want Shake Shack to be in places as exciting as the burger is delicious.
Any insider info about your Burger Bash entry?
I think we’re going to do the classic Shack Burger that’s won a following at Shake Shack & two Burger Bash titles (once in Miami Beach and once in NYC).
Okay, spill – what makes the Shack burger so great?
The love that goes into it. And I mean it. Beginning with how the animals are treated in Creekstone Farms in Kansas to the people who cook it and the love that goes into smiling when someone orders it and serves it. We’re certainly not responsible for inventing the cheeseburger, it really starts with care & love for what you’re doing.
Tell us about your seminar.
I’m leading a really fun wine panel - How to pair wines with Shake Shack. We’re paring six different wines with six different tastes of Shake Shack. I create a matrix chart so that everyone will do 36 different tastings involving foods like fries, cheese sauce, chicken bratwurst and Chicago hotdogs. Wine is really just an alcoholic version of the condiments we put on our food.
- Event Notes: Breaking down the 2014 South Beach Wine and Food Festival
- Breaking down Eats & Beats in Miami's Design District
- The 10 best dishes from the 2014 South Beach Wine and Food Festival
- Uncorked 2014: Reports from the 2014 South Beach Wine & Food Festival
- 5 Things We Are Excited About at the South Beach Wine and Food Festival
- 10 Best of the (Unofficial) Best during Wine & Food Weekend
- Where to party beyond the party: SBWFF 2014 satellite events
- South Beach Wine & Food Festival spurs plenty of spillover parties
- Chef Andrew Zimmern headlines 2014 South Beach Wine & Food Festival
- SBWFF 2014: Bring a taste of the Festival home with you with Marc Forgione