Daniel Boulud's French kiss
Celeb chef helping launch Marriott hotel downtown
Daniel Boulud is in a good mood. And why not? The celebuchef just got word that his flagship in New York City, Daniel (Charlie Sheen's eatery of choice), has received its third Michelin star for the second year in a row. "For a chef who grew up in France, it's still the gold standard," says the restaurateur, 55.
"All this is incredibly inspiring for my team." Boulud also has more big news -- he's opening his db bistro Moderne at the JW Marriott Marquis Hotel in downtown Miami Thursday night. We chewed the fat before the launch:
Here's a tough one: What is the most fabulous party you have done?
Always the next one I'm about to give. This year's fall feast at Daniel benefits our Bocuse d'Or USA Foundation [a $1,000 a plate dinner Nov. 18 helping fund the biennial world chef championship]. We'll start with a buffet of about a dozen varieties of charcuterie and move on to a five course wild game dinner.
Most major kitchen disaster?
Almost setting a friend's country house on fire trying to roast a turkey on their BBQ grill. Let's just say the basting was enthusiastic, and the grill was a little close to the side of the house.
What is the worst thing you've ever eaten?
Raw chicken liver very late at night at a yakitori place in Tokyo. From the minute I put it in my mouth I knew it would be a challenge to keep it down. Any guilty pleasures? Golden Osetra caviar with warm Ger- man butterball potatoes and cool creamy creme fraiche. On the humbler side: a ripe avocado.
What is a typical dinner for you? No such thing as a typical night for me. Typical lunch would be soup and salad with plenty of fresh greens.
What is your dream meal? My dear friend photographer Melanie Dunea did a wonderful book entitled My Last Supper. In my chapter, I fantasized about a dinner that would be prepared for me at Versailles by Alain Ducasse. Can't wait to see what he'll cook for me!
On Our Radar
- Lenny Kravitz honored for charity work
- Beyonce to kick off world tour in Miami
- Supermodel Naomi Campbell plays mentor
- Dance contestants visit FIU to judge dance competition for charity
- Enrique Iglesias, Romeo Santos and Nicky Jam among the top finalists for 2016 Billboard Latin Music Awards
- At 71, Patti Labelle is just getting started
- 7 Funniest Lines from Miami's Dave Barry at the Iowa Caucuses
- Shark Tank star to exhibit art
- Marlon Wayans: I'm not really like Christian Grey
- Sports Illustrated fan fest headed to Miami Beach