Daniel Boulud's French kiss
Celeb chef helping launch Marriott hotel downtown
Daniel Boulud is in a good mood. And why not? The celebuchef just got word that his flagship in New York City, Daniel (Charlie Sheen's eatery of choice), has received its third Michelin star for the second year in a row. "For a chef who grew up in France, it's still the gold standard," says the restaurateur, 55.
"All this is incredibly inspiring for my team." Boulud also has more big news -- he's opening his db bistro Moderne at the JW Marriott Marquis Hotel in downtown Miami Thursday night. We chewed the fat before the launch:
Here's a tough one: What is the most fabulous party you have done?
Always the next one I'm about to give. This year's fall feast at Daniel benefits our Bocuse d'Or USA Foundation [a $1,000 a plate dinner Nov. 18 helping fund the biennial world chef championship]. We'll start with a buffet of about a dozen varieties of charcuterie and move on to a five course wild game dinner.
Most major kitchen disaster?
Almost setting a friend's country house on fire trying to roast a turkey on their BBQ grill. Let's just say the basting was enthusiastic, and the grill was a little close to the side of the house.
What is the worst thing you've ever eaten?
Raw chicken liver very late at night at a yakitori place in Tokyo. From the minute I put it in my mouth I knew it would be a challenge to keep it down. Any guilty pleasures? Golden Osetra caviar with warm Ger- man butterball potatoes and cool creamy creme fraiche. On the humbler side: a ripe avocado.
What is a typical dinner for you? No such thing as a typical night for me. Typical lunch would be soup and salad with plenty of fresh greens.
What is your dream meal? My dear friend photographer Melanie Dunea did a wonderful book entitled My Last Supper. In my chapter, I fantasized about a dinner that would be prepared for me at Versailles by Alain Ducasse. Can't wait to see what he'll cook for me!
On Our Radar
- Wilmer Valderrama in Miami
- Vanilla Ice headed to the Design District?
- Thrive Seminar, Nelson Foundation will award local entrepreneur $10,000 on Thursday on Miami Beach
- Comedian Jo Koy at Magic City Casino
- Want to get gorgeous fast? Glamsquad is one solution
- Puff Daddy and pals to take stage at Fontainebleau
- Miami Marlins star Giancarlo Stanton single & looking
- Brandon Flowers cancels Fillmore concert
- Zac Efron makes surprise visit to Regal, spins at Grand Central
- Ice Cube and co in town for 'Straight Outta Compton'