Dancers push right buttons
They dance eight gorgeous-but-grueling shows a week and travel to the next tour city on their lone day off. Yet So You Think You Can Dance (SYTYCD)veterans Pasha Kovalev and Janette Manrara soun...
They dance eight gorgeous-but-grueling shows a week and travel to the next tour city on their lone day off. Yet So You Think You Can Dance (SYTYCD)veterans Pasha Kovalev and Janette Manrara sound remarkably perky during recent morning cellphone chats about Burn the Floor, the hot ballroom dance show that will bring them to the Broward Center for the Performing Arts for a two-week run beginning Tuesday.
``You know which buttons you should and shouldn't push,'' Kovalev says, adding with a laugh, ``and you know how to push them.''
Kovalev, who has performed with Garnis in the show on Broadway, thinks that TV shows like SYTYCD and Dancing With the Stars (both of which came after Burn the Floor, which debuted in London in 1999), have led to audiences being much more savvy about ballroom styles -- all of which, he says, he appreciates.
``It's like asking which of your five fingers you like best,'' he says.
As for Miamian Manrara, who turns 27 on the day Burn the Floor opens in Fort Lauderdale, she is still marveling at her life since she decided to leave a good job at Northern Trust Bank and her finance studies at Florida International University to pursue her ``crazy'' dance dream on SYTYCD.
``I have danced on Glee, danced on the Glee tour, danced on the Oscars, danced with Jennifer Lopez,'' she says. ``I'm blessed to say I make a living doing what I love.''
-- CHRISTINE DOLEN
Burn the Floor is at the Broward Center
for the Performing Arts, 201 SW Fifth
Ave., Fort Lauderdale, Tuesday-Nov. 28; 8 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday, 7:30 p.m. Sunday, 2 p.m. Saturday-Sunday (extra matinees Nov.
24 and Nov. 26); tickets $21-
$63; 954-462-0222 or
On Our Radar
- Fort Lauderdale's Fish Tank Kings returns
- Wild and crazy guy: Steve O in town for shows
- Ben & Jerry’s Free Ice Cream Tasting
- Tax day cometh! Flo Rida pays his bill
- Joanna Krupa puts apartment up for sale
- Former 'Queer Eye' designer Thom Filicia lends his touch to new condo in Edgewater
- Key West company featured on 'The Profit'
- Miami Beach, Miami Gardens among nation’s most dangerous suburbs
- George Lopez talks 'Saint George' and 'Rio 2'
- Old Spice Guy Isaiah Mustafa spreads the love