Miami culture: Dance events
Dance lovers have plenty of performances to catch this week.
Ballet, contemporary dance and performance art lovers have a packed agenda this weekend:
Miami Contemporary Dance Company presents a dance piece focusing on the dreams of migrant farm-working women in South Florida and their relationship with their children, plus the "Black" section from "The Death of Garcia Lorca."
November 12-13 at 8 p.m. and November 19-20 at 8 p.m. colony Theatre, 1040 Lincoln Rd., Miami Beach; 305-674-1040. Tickets $20-$35.
An Invitation to Dance
Next Step Dance company presents contemporary dance performances from its repertory including “Summertime,” “Silenzio,” “Photograph,” “The Other Side,” “Surrender,” “Woodblock Study” and “One For My Baby.”
November 13 at 8 p.m. Aventura Arts & Cultural Center, 3385 NE 188th St., Aventura; 954-462-0222. Tickets $26.50.
Miami City Ballet- Program 1
If you missed them in Miami then head up to Broward to catch the Miami City Ballet's Program 1 featuring "Fanfare," choreographed by Jerome Robbins, music by Benjamin Britten and narrated by Edward Villella. Also features "Bugaku" choreographed by George Balanchine and music by Mayazumi and "Theme and Variations" choreographed by Balanchine and music by Tchaikovsky.
November 11-14 at 8 p.m., Sunday at 2 p.m. Broward Center for the Performing Arts, 201 SW Fifth Ave., Fort Lauderdale; 954-462-0222. Tickets $19-$169.
Multidisciplinary performance work created by Daniel Arsham, Miami visual artist, Jonah Bokaer, performance and media artist, and choreographer Judith Sanchez Ruiz.
Saturday, November 13 at 7 p.m. Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA),770 NE 125th St., North Miami; 305-893-6211. $15, $10 MOCA members, North Miami residents and City of North Miami employees
See and Do
- Pérez Art Museum Miami: 10 features you won’t want to miss
- Accessible Art: Art Basel sets attendance record, color in time and space with Carlos Cruz-Diez, and the Bakehouse Art Complex builds first public metal-casting foundry
- Accessible Art: Arsht Center exhibit fuses fashion and art, a call for artists at Segafredo, and the Wolfsonian-FIU presents Rebirth of Rome
- LA artist Kenton Parker elevates the 'selfie' with solo exhibition at Primary Projects for Art Basel
- Big brands descend on Miami Art Week to expose emerging artists to the public
- Accessible Art: Fort Lauderdale art exhibit spotlights 10 female artists, CIFO teams up with Museum of Fine Arts Boston, and MOCA on WPBT Ch. 2
- More gifts pour in as Pérez Art Museum Miami prepares to open
- Bookleggers brings Literary Death Match to Bardot in Miami
- Abstract painter Larry Poons brings art to Miami nature center in January
- Lunch with Lydia: Daughter of Wynwood pioneer carries on father’s mission