The Sao Paulo native brings his musical diversity to Miami tonight as part of the TransAtlantic Festival.
By Rayme Samuels
Street savvy Curumin represents the musical diversity of Brazil’s biggest city everywhere he goes. Check out the Sao Paulo native’s show with Aterciopelados at the North Beach Bandshell on Friday, April 17th.
So what do you think of Miami?
Beautiful beaches, lots of Latin influences, lots of parties. This last time was during the Winter Music Conference, and we did two shows but there were not [many] people to see us there. It was one of our first times. Now, I hope to see more people. All dancing in their bikinis.
You've been touring in North America since 2005. What is the biggest difference between performing in the US and performing in Brazil?
Outside Brazil some people already have a stereotype about the Brazilians. Carnival, samba, soccer, favela, beaches... And sometimes I feel the people watching me and seeing "that Brazilian guy." This is not a problem at all, I'm proud to be Brazilian. It's just that I don't want to be exactly what the people are expecting- I want to be what I am.
How would you describe your sound?
I don't know how to describe my sound! I feel that is in the evolution and changes of the samba. Maybe we can call it Mutant Samba? I don't know...I am still looking for a way to describe it.
Your latest album JapanPopShow is such a huge international hit. Why do you think people enjoy it so much?
I don't know why, and I don't know if I want to know why. There's some mystery in music that I prefer to be preserved as an unknown thing.
What are your plans for the future?
About the future, it's not that clear for me, but I have met so many great musicians that I want to make music with, and have fun with. Let's see.
- Things to do this weekend in Miami - Jan. 29-31
- Naughty By Nature at LIV, Fashion on Film at Bal Harbour, The Art of Rum and Spam
- Miami Latin Nightclubs
- Happy hours, Pink Floyd yoga, Trick Daddy, jazz & Nu Deco
- Things to do in Miami this weekend - Jan. 22-24
- Life in Color returns to Miami with Jack U, Zeds Dead, Steve Aoki and more
- Go Drink This: Proper Rum and Coke
- Miami Heat after party, EPIC new happy hours, Life in Color & Wine & Reggae in Wynwood
- Things to do in Miami this weekend - Jan. 8-10
- Ballers: National YoungArts, The Big Lebowski, Digweed & more!