A Week's Worth of Classy Events
Piano, ballet and opera are just what you need to keep you out of trouble this week.
Feeling starved for a bit of culture this week. Not to worry, Miami always delivers.
2008 Dranoff International Two Piano Competition winners, Susan and Sarah Wang, in a Classical music and rap poetry mashup featuring prominent Miami spoken word artists Lela Lombardo, Summer Hill Seven and DJ The Brass King, and the voices of Miami-Dade Public School Poets free in concert.
Wednesday, May 12, 7:30 p.m. Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts, 1300 Biscayne Blvd., Miami; 786-468-2000. The event is free.
Arts Ballet Theatre of Florida presents their Ballet Gala featuring Harlequinade, Glinka Suite Fantastique, Don Quixote Pas de Deux, Spring Waters and El Encuentro.
Friday, May 14, 7 p.m.; Saturday, May 15 6 p.m. Broward Center for the Performing Arts, 201 SW Fifth Ave.,Fort Lauderdale; 954-462-0222, www.browardcenter.org. Tickets $25.
MIAMI INTERNATIONAL PIANO FESTIVAL
Chopin and Schumann both celebrate their 200th anniversaries this year and to pay tribute to these prolific patriarchs of the Romantic period, the Miami International Piano Festival will present four days of fantasic piano recitals featuring international talent.
May 13-16, all concerts start at 8 p.m., Saturday 'Prodigies and Masters of Tomorrow' matinee concert begins at 2 p.m., Lincoln Theatre, 541 Lincoln Road,Miami Beach; 305-935-5115. Tickets $15,$25, $40 or $100 all five concerts.
THE GIFTS OF AMERICAN OPERA & SONG
The Florida Grand Opera Young Artist Studio performs works by American composers Kurt Weill, Carlisle Floyd, Gian Carlo Menotti, Samuel Barber, Leonard Bernstein, and Stephen Sondheim. Meet and mingle with the performers following the concert for a wine reception. Preceding the concert at 6pm, join us for a guided tour of the +5 exhibition, which highlights acquisitions from the last five years.
Friday, May 14, 7 p.m. Wolfsonian Museum, 1001 Washington Ave., Miami Beach, Florida;305-535-2644. Free for members and students, $5 all others.
See and Do
- Miami Broward One Carnival heads south to a new venue in Miami
- Accessible Art: Fort Lauderdale art exhibit spotlights 10 female artists, CIFO teams up with Museum of Fine Arts Boston, and MOCA on WPBT Ch. 2
- More gifts pour in as Pérez Art Museum Miami prepares to open
- Bookleggers brings Literary Death Match to Bardot in Miami
- Abstract painter Larry Poons brings art to Miami nature center in January
- Lunch with Lydia: Daughter of Wynwood pioneer carries on father’s mission
- A prelude to Art Basel for locals
- New World Center's Mini-Concerts return with "Yoga Night at the New World Symphony"
- Lucky You! 5 brings art to the people on Nov. 9
- CircX burlesque and cabaret troupe celebrates 10th anniversary