Culture clubs: A non-profit arts guide
It's tough being a starving artist, which is why we're giving these non-profits a high five and you a preview of their upcoming seasons.
By Maria Tettamanti
Price of night-out-on-the-town frock: $100. Cost of new Choos: $240. Cost of rocking out to some groovy Brazilian bossa nova beats with your boo: priceless. In fact, Miami's chockablock with hip non-profit art organizations - here are a few of our artsy-fartsy faves.
The organization: Alliance Francaise of Miami
The story: Parlez-vous le français ? If the answer is no, then it's time to give Alliance Francaise of Miami a holler. From cultural events to actual French language courses, this foundation will have you saying oui to becoming a francophone.
The concept: Learn French through film, classes and exhibits. Comprenez?
The schedule: Events located at Alliance Francaise, 618 SW 8th St. For a complete schedule, log on to www.afmiami.org.
The organization: FUNDarte
The story: Dance, art, poetry, music, festivals - FUNDarte leaves no stone unturned. Since 2003, FUNDarte has been dedicated to producing, presenting and promoting the aforementioned art forms.
The concept: Here's the 411 on FUNDarte; To create a safe space for nurturing promising artists; facilitate intercultural exchanges; develop audiences with the ability to think critically and reflect; and build bridges between innovative, moving works of art and diverse segments of the community. Sounds like fun, eh?
The schedule: Log on to www.fundarte.us.
The organization: Miami Light Project
The story: Let there be light! Founded in 1989, the Miami Light Project is a non-profit cultural organization presenting live performances by innovative dance, music and theater artists from around the world. It also supports the development of new work by South Florida-based artists and even offers educational programs for students of every age.
The concept: Artistic and Executive Director Beth Boone says, "Whether it's on the main stage in The Contemporary Performance Series, in our studio at The Light Box, or around town at Out of the Box outreach events - at Miami Light Project there is something for everyone!"
The schedule: Log on to www.miamilightproject.com.
The organization: Rhythm Foundation
The story: They've got rhythm, yes they do! Rhythm Foundation is a non-profit organization celebrating its 20th season of presenting outstanding international artists in South Florida.
The concept: Hands down, this foundation is South Florida's foremost presenter of "world music" - presenting more than 250 concerts, events and festivals by established and innovative artists from around the world. Special focus is given to music from Brazil, Latin America, the Caribbean, Africa, Asia, and Europe. Rhythm Foundation presents an average of 15 concerts and festivals each year at various venues in South Florida. Music to our ears!
The schedule: Log on to www.rhythmfoundation.com.
The organization: Tigertail Productions
The story: Take a walk on the wild side with Tigertail Productions. Founded in 1979, Tigertail has brought Miami an amazing array of artists from all walks of life - in terms of dance music performances.
The concept: For more than 28 years, this foundation is Florida's pioneer of innovative art. "Tigertail is a catalyst and connector, putting in motion dynamic people and provocative projects in the performing, literary and visual arts. Our projects reflect the socio-economic range, diversity and profile of Miami-Dade," says Executive Director Mary Luft. Their focus? The newest and latest. Tigertail prides itself on the art of our time reflecting current directions and thinking.
The schedule: Log on to www.tigertail.org.
See and Do
- Pérez Art Museum Miami: 10 features you won’t want to miss
- Accessible Art: Art Basel sets attendance record, color in time and space with Carlos Cruz-Diez, and the Bakehouse Art Complex builds first public metal-casting foundry
- Accessible Art: Arsht Center exhibit fuses fashion and art, a call for artists at Segafredo, and the Wolfsonian-FIU presents Rebirth of Rome
- LA artist Kenton Parker elevates the 'selfie' with solo exhibition at Primary Projects for Art Basel
- Big brands descend on Miami Art Week to expose emerging artists to the public
- Accessible Art: Fort Lauderdale art exhibit spotlights 10 female artists, CIFO teams up with Museum of Fine Arts Boston, and MOCA on WPBT Ch. 2
- More gifts pour in as Pérez Art Museum Miami prepares to open
- Bookleggers brings Literary Death Match to Bardot in Miami
- Abstract painter Larry Poons brings art to Miami nature center in January
- Lunch with Lydia: Daughter of Wynwood pioneer carries on father’s mission