Miami City Ballet kicks off the season and the New World Symphony bids the Lincoln Theatre adieu.
MIAMI CITY BALLET
Miami City Ballet presents Program 1, which features "Fanfare," choreographed by Jerome Robbins and music by Benjamin Britten. The ballet is Robbin's tribute to Queen Elizabeth II and its premiere took place on the night of her coronation in 1953. Also features "Bugaku" choreographed by George Balanchine and music by Mayazumi and "Theme and Variations" choreographed by Balanchine and music by Tchaikovsky.
Friday 8 p.m. , Saturday 8 p.m., Sunday 2 p.m. Adrienne Arsht Center, 1300 Biscayne Blvd., Miami; 305-949-6722 or www.arshtcenter.org. Tickets $19-$169.
Designed to give a behind-the-scenes view, the event features guided tours and performances by Next Step Dance, Arts Ballet Theater of Florida, Duelling Divas, Alhambra String Quartet, puppeteers, mimes and other entertainers.
Sunday, October 17 from noon Aventura Arts & Cultural Center. 3385 NE 188th St., Aventura; 305-466-8002 or www.aventuracenter.org. Free.
Michael Tilson Thomas' Lincoln Farewell concert features the ten-time Grammy Award winner as conductor and internationally acclaimed cellist Lynn Harrell in Tchaikovsky’s version of a cello concerto with variations on a Rococo Theme. Also includes rhythmic energy and haunting harmonies of Beethoven’s Seventh Symphony.
Saturday, October 16, Sunday October 17 at 7:30 p.m. Lincoln Theatre, 541 Lincoln Rd., Miami Beach; 305-673-3331. $79-$98
Festival Miami, the annual music festival that opens the South Florida arts season, presents pianist Santiago Rodriguez in a concert titled 'Timeless Titans' playing the music of Sergei Rachmaninoff and other musical titans.
Friday, October 15 at 8 p.m. University of Miami's Gusman Concert Hall, 1314 Miller Dr., Coral Gables; www.festivalmiami.com. Tickets $20-$40.
See and Do
- Holiday parades, princess parties & a local gift guide: Munchkin Fun's top weekly picks
- Borscht Film Festival spurs a Miami filmmaking boom
- Holiday events in Miami
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - Dec. 12-14
- Outré Theatre makes its move to Fort Lauderdale with ‘Othello’
- Cirque du Soleil brings its fem-centric show, 'Amaluna,' to Sun Life Stadium
- Seminole Hard Rock Winterfest Boat Parade floats into Broward this Saturday
- Holiday dance, theater and music favorites to make the season merry
- ‘Book of Mormon’ walks its fine line, this time at the Arsht Center
- Princess parties, superheroes & gingerbread houses: Munchkin Fun's Top picks for Dec 8-12