Culture Club: Classical Music this week
If you haven't gone deaf from all the electronic music last week, here are a few classical music shows to enjoy.
Orchestra Miami presents “Mozart Under the Stars,” a free concert at Collins Park. Attendees are encouraged to bring a blanket or lawn chair, something to nibble on and drink.
March 19 at 7 p.m. at Collins Park on Collins Ave. between 21st and 22nd Streets, Miami Beach. For more information about the concerts or Orchestra Miami, please call (305) 274-2103 or visit www.orchestramiami.org.
FLORIDA GRAND OPERA
The FGO presents its Young Artists Community Performance Series where opera lovers can surround themselves with art and beauty and listen to highlights from Don Giovanni and some of the world’s most beloved arias as sung by members of Florida Grand Opera’s Young Artist Studio. Attendance is free for MOCA members and $5 for non-members.
March 18 at 7:30 p.m. Museum of Contemporary Art, 770 NE 125 Street, North Miami.
NEW WORLD SYMPHONY
The New World Center presents its half-hour concerts that will feature selections from Mendelssohn's dreamy A Midsummer Night's Dream, Haydn's Symphony No. 56 and Prokofiev's "Classical" Symphony.
Friday, March 18 and Saturday, March 19 at 7:30 PM, 8:30 PM and 9:30 PM. All tickets $2.50. New World Center
Peter and the Wolf
Your child's imagination will run wild as the story of Peter and the Wolf musically comes to life. Featuring fun-filled music as Bernstein's Overture to Candide and a world-premiere performance by Conducting Fellow Teddy Abrams. Arrive early and meet the musicians at our Instrument Petting Zoo.
Sunday, March 20 at 11:30 AM and 2:00 PM New World Center. All tickets $10
See and Do
- Russian pianist plays Wynwood on Friday
- Siempre Flamenco hosts Cafe Cantante at the South Miami-Dade Cultural Arts Center
- The Rhythm Foundation's Dance Band Night kicks off with The French Horn
- What if Works presents Chekhov's 'The Cherry Orchard'
- A more modest ‘Anything Goes’ docks at the Broward Center
- Little Havana Visitor Center opens on Calle Ocho
- Bayfront Park upgrades summer lineup in downtown Miami
- The Beatles arrive at HistoryMiami
- Photo exhibit at UM Art Gallery explores life on the Texas High Plains
- #HowToMiami - Street Art