Culture Club: Classical Music this week
If you haven't gone deaf from all the electronic music last week, here are a few classical music shows to enjoy.
Orchestra Miami presents “Mozart Under the Stars,” a free concert at Collins Park. Attendees are encouraged to bring a blanket or lawn chair, something to nibble on and drink.
March 19 at 7 p.m. at Collins Park on Collins Ave. between 21st and 22nd Streets, Miami Beach. For more information about the concerts or Orchestra Miami, please call (305) 274-2103 or visit www.orchestramiami.org.
FLORIDA GRAND OPERA
The FGO presents its Young Artists Community Performance Series where opera lovers can surround themselves with art and beauty and listen to highlights from Don Giovanni and some of the world’s most beloved arias as sung by members of Florida Grand Opera’s Young Artist Studio. Attendance is free for MOCA members and $5 for non-members.
March 18 at 7:30 p.m. Museum of Contemporary Art, 770 NE 125 Street, North Miami.
NEW WORLD SYMPHONY
The New World Center presents its half-hour concerts that will feature selections from Mendelssohn's dreamy A Midsummer Night's Dream, Haydn's Symphony No. 56 and Prokofiev's "Classical" Symphony.
Friday, March 18 and Saturday, March 19 at 7:30 PM, 8:30 PM and 9:30 PM. All tickets $2.50. New World Center
Peter and the Wolf
Your child's imagination will run wild as the story of Peter and the Wolf musically comes to life. Featuring fun-filled music as Bernstein's Overture to Candide and a world-premiere performance by Conducting Fellow Teddy Abrams. Arrive early and meet the musicians at our Instrument Petting Zoo.
Sunday, March 20 at 11:30 AM and 2:00 PM New World Center. All tickets $10
See and Do
- Accessible Art: Caribbean-centric exhibition by Haitian artist, Locust Projects wins first NEA grant, and is the Museum of Art Fort Lauderdale expanding?
- Accessible Art: Art Basel sets attendance record, color in time and space with Carlos Cruz-Diez, and the Bakehouse Art Complex builds first public metal-casting foundry
- Accessible Art: Arsht Center exhibit fuses fashion and art, a call for artists at Segafredo, and the Wolfsonian-FIU presents Rebirth of Rome
- LA artist Kenton Parker elevates the 'selfie' with solo exhibition at Primary Projects for Art Basel
- Big brands descend on Miami Art Week to expose emerging artists to the public
- Accessible Art: Fort Lauderdale art exhibit spotlights 10 female artists, CIFO teams up with Museum of Fine Arts Boston, and MOCA on WPBT Ch. 2
- More gifts pour in as Pérez Art Museum Miami prepares to open
- Bookleggers brings Literary Death Match to Bardot in Miami
- Abstract painter Larry Poons brings art to Miami nature center in January
- Lunch with Lydia: Daughter of Wynwood pioneer carries on father’s mission